Is there such a thing as too much snow/cold? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Is there such a thing as too much snow/cold?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Alcibides

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is there such a thing as too much snow/cold?

Lucky loves the snow. Loves to jump in it, render himself a snow plow and push his face through it etc. He could spend hours in our fenced in area out back but I'm thinking, "Hey, this dog is from Havana. Should he like the cold? Should I not leave him out for too long?" etc. etc. My DH says, he'll let us know when he's had enough but that doesn't seem to happen and the snow removal is always a challenge when he's finally in. Can there be too much of a good thing snow and cold wise for our little one year old Hav.?Thanks for input.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Yes, they do seem to love the snow. Go figure - Havana ancestry and all. I wouldn't, however, leave him out there indefinitely assuming that he'll let you know when he's cold, as he may become frost bitten. His ears, tail, paws, etc. are all vulnerable and he needs to be protected. Even when taking my departed Havanese, Bailey, out for a walk in the snow, he would just stop and hold up his paw, after awhile, as it was getting too cold. He never got frost bitten, but did get cold, although he played in the snow, just like yours, and would never have come in on his own, especially if I was out there making paths for them in the yard. If I was out, no matter how long, they wanted to be out too. I guess caution would be best.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
always monitor them ,but yeah Molly loves it too. When it's really cold she'll lift her paws in a funny manner, that's usually when we head in.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I'm going to try a new product on their paws this year, mushers secret. That's the one thing that seems to bother them. As Dave said, they will lift their paws when they hurt. Since I put coats on them, that's the only part I notice bothers them. If the snows not sticking, I will walk them for an hour. If their feet get full of snowballs, the walk is cut very short. The coats help because once they are done walking, they tend to shiver a bit on the car ride home.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
yeah Linda, I hear that's a good product.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
lfung5
LINDA

Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I'll let you guys know. Tomorrow I will put it to use! We will go hiking in the snow and it is the sticky kind.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Henry turned into a snowball today in the snow. I have to be a mom like Linda and get him a real snowsuit!
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
FancyNancy
Henry's Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use the Mushers Secret to protect Henry from the salt on the road when it's icy and it's great. It also moisturizes! It doesn't keep him from getting snow on his paws though.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Sonic and Aries

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree, I didn't think they would enjoy the winter/snow as much as they do and that just monitoring them while they are outside is the best thing..

Mine were playing outside and having a great time today and I don't think they were really ready to come back in when I made them. But when Aries slowed down for a few minutes and I saw how covered in snowballs she was, I knew it was time to go in! It took me about half an hour to 45 minutes to get the snowballs out, de-mat her and get her dry.. Thankfully Sonic is through his matting phase again and it went a lot easier cleaning him off. I'm going to have to check out all the winter gear for the dogs if they are going to want to go playing in the snow every time...

Here are a few pictures I was able to get of them (with my new Christmas present - so be prepared for a lot more Sonic and Aries pictures haha)..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aries Snowballs.jpg (101.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Aries Snowballs 2.jpg (67.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Sonic Snow.jpg (84.0 KB, 3 views)

Sonic and Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
emichel

Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
I really hope we get some snow here this year, I know Benjamin would love it! I can totally picture Lucky pushing through it like a little snow plow, how cute. I have wondered about that, if their paws will get frostbite. It does seem like they might be like little kids, getting lost in the fun (assuming they are the sort of pups that love snow), and forgetting to come in out of the cold. I probably wouldn't need to worry much, because my tolerance for cold is pretty minimal, so we won't be staying out in it for long! Now sunburn on a hot summer day, that is another story!
-- Eileen
emichel is offline   Reply With Quote