Big time scare - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Big time scare
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Big time scare

pulled onto my street coming home from work. As I'm nearing my house I see what looks like a firetruck out front and near my house. As I get closer , yes it's a firetruck. and yes it's right in front of my house. The driver is still in the truck and has to back up so I can pull in my driveway. I see the front door open. Heart is beating 200 times a minute, and my first thoughts is Gwen having a heart attack, as she does have issues with it. Pile out of the truck and there in the front hallway are three firefighters and GWEN standing there talking .As she sees me I am almost in tears. Turns out the hardwired smoke detectors all went off and she called the fire dept. and told them there wasn't a fire and that it wasn't an emergency. They dispatched the truck anyway which they probably shouldn't have and it took them fifteen minutes to figure out the problem. One of the detectors was faulty or dusty ,who knows and the system is such that if one goes off , they all go off , JOY. They had to find the right breaker (which is labelled bathroon /hallway) lol , so they could test each detector individually to see what was the problem. Needless to say they found the culprit, . So I guess after being here for 18 years its time to replace all of them. Yes hardwired ones too . I sort of remember reading this years ago but you know , I never replaced them,. Geeze I really didn' t need this. She didn't have a heart attack ,but I nearly did . Lesson learned you dumb bugger Dave. Molly wasn't happy either . Gwen is still shaken. Five detectors going off for twenty plus minutes would do it to me too.

Last edited by davetgabby; 01-02-2013 at 06:37 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
CacheHavs

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 10 Posts
How scary, Glad everything is ok

Caché Havanese
"What Lies Behind Us And What Lies Before Us
Are Tiny Matters Compared To What Lies Within Us."

Here are some links to help educate yourself in how to fight for your rights to continue to own and love your animals. Please do not be mislead by PETA or HSUS who is PETA in suits.
CacheHavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
pjewel
Super Moderator

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 25 Posts
Oh Dave, how awful. You had my heart beating just a little bit faster reading your story. I know the problems Gwen has had in the past. Sending hugs your way.

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
davetgabby
Dave T

thanks Heather and it's good to see you back Geri. I need a drink , still upset.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Poor you!!! I think you need TWO stiff drinks!!! Glad to read that everything was OK, though!!!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm so glad everything, especially Gwen, was all right! The noise must have been excruciating for her and Molly, though.

Breath deep, breath deep!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
OH MY Dave!! So Sorry-I would have been hyperventilating. Rest easy tonight and feel better. Something chocolate usually helps.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Well I have had the two stiff drinks for you. Now I need to get DH to replace the batteries in the smoke detectors. They have been up for at least ten years.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
Well I have had the two stiff drinks for you. Now I need to get DH to replace the batteries in the smoke detectors. They have been up for at least ten years.
thanks alll, I'm sipping a triple shot of rum and coke. Yeah Lucile now that I'm researching , I find out that some hardwired ones have backup batteries in them in case of power failure. Still trying to figure if mine do. The company that makes mine is no longer in business. GEEZE
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
Glad all is ok.