WARNING: Xylitol and a very scary night - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
WARNING: Xylitol and a very scary night
Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Missy
Senior Member
 
Missy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,742
Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
WARNING: Xylitol and a very scary night

First, the boys seem to be just fine. But please keep them, especially Jasper (I think) in your thoughts for another 24 hours. But I wanted to remind everyone how dangerous the alternative sweetner Xylitol is for dogs. especially small dogs.

Last night I was about to take a probiotic lozenge that I had put in my pocket. Got ready to take it, and realized there was a hole in my pocket and no pill. I was a little slow as I had already taken something to help me sleep, but I did put two and two together when I saw Jasper intent on something on the stairs (not a usual place of interest, especially at bed time) But I didn't actually see him eat it.

Luckily I remembered that this supplement had xylitol in it and I knew that xylitol was bad for dogs... but I didn't know how bad! After a quick search and then a call to the emergency vet... and then aspca poison control... we made both boys throw up with a teaspoon and 1/2 of 3% hydrogen peroxide. We did Cash too, since he is usually the vacuum cleaner in the house and we had no proof... and we couldn't find the pill anywhere. Both boys were acting just fine, interested in both food and water, and were alert.

But poison control, took this extremely seriously it takes just a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of xylitol to critically effect the blood glucose of dogs... and if left untreated it can cause seizures, and liver failure. This article sums it up nicely, except poison control feels you are not out of the woods for 24 to 36 hours.

http://seattletimes.com/html/tailsof..._and_cats.html

Oddly for me and my DH, we did not run to the emergency vet as we really didn't know if either of them had eaten it...and it would have been 2 of everything... 2 sets of tests, 2 sets of overnight observation, 2 emergency bills, so since we had not proof of consumption, and we had made them throw up, we decided to watch them closely, and give them small meals every three hours as instructed through the night to keep their glucose levels stable. But everyone we spoke to, both last night and today took the consumption of a pill the size of an asprin very seriously.

Both boys are still doing fine. and loving their extra small meals. but please keep them in your thoughts.

And keep in eye out for Xylitol in foods and gum and supplements around your house.

here is the number for ASPCA poison control. they charge $65 per phone call. but in my opinion it is worth it.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/
(888) 426-4435.
__________________
Missy, Jasper & Cash
Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Pixiesmom
Senior Member
 
Pixiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,807
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I hope neither of them actually ingested it-Oh my gosh!! We have Xylitol everywhere (toothpaste, mouthwash, mints, gum, and granules)-it's unsettling! I love it for our teeth, but I know it's toxic and it sort of freaks me out that I have it all over the house! I'll have to keep a super close eye out that none of us drop a mint on the ground. Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure they'll be a-ok.
__________________
Beth, Pixie Puff and MiG too
Pixiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Pipersmom
Julie
 
Pipersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,440
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hoping they are both ok Missy. It's surprising how many things contain it and it's not something a lot of people think about, thanks for the reminder.
__________________
Julie, Piper and Riley

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
pjewel
Super Moderator
 
pjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 8,939
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 25 Posts
Missy, that's terrifying. My thoughts are with you and the boys as you get through the next day or so.
__________________
Just Milo and me, and . . . Bailey makes three . . . until Ruby said, "hey, what about me?"
Geri, Milo, Bailey and HRH Princess Ruby Tuesday

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Suzi
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,744
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
That was scary and thank you for the phone number. DHD comes over to visit the sisters and twice now he has dropped listerine pocket packs on the floor. the writing is so small I cant read if it has that in it. I have gotten lucky and noticed both times before the girls did.
Its been a bad week of our Havanese getting into things! Chocolate and such.
__________________
Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
motherslittlehelper
Linda
 
motherslittlehelper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Posts: 3,645
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
I certainly hope your fur kids will be OK, Missy. And, yes, thank you for the reminder and the information. I love seeing my human kids come visit, but it is stressful too, because I am always following behind them because it seems I am always finding things they drop on the floor. Husbands too.
__________________
Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom
motherslittlehelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
sandypaws
Senior Member
 
sandypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,323
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
I'll keep them both in my thoughts and prayers, Missy, and hope the next 24 hours go by quickly for all of you.
__________________

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
davetgabby
Dave T
 
davetgabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,569
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
hope nothing develops Missy, keep us up to date.
__________________
Dave and Molly
Ian Dunbar was awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from I.P.D.T.A. Here's a picture of me accepting the award on his behalf.
Member of IAABC ,International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants , Member of Pet Professional Guild
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
inlovewithhav
Senior Member
 
inlovewithhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 173
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I am sending all my good thoughts and prayers to you as well. I am a true belever in postive thoughts to get you through things and am very thankful for all the ones that the group sent my way this weekend. I had no clue about the xylitol but will go through what I have in the house and check now since mine like to get into things. We have had a very stressful week so far on the forum.
__________________
Shelly Mom to Iliana, Michael and furbabies: Kipper (Hav), Sadie and Cleo
inlovewithhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,434
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Boy, I'm glad to hear they are OK so far! Hopefully that bodes well. I just saw the title of the thread, and my heart was in my mouth!!!
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.