Flea control - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Flea control
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Flea control

Well I found a few fleas on Zoey and now I need to figure out how I want to kill them and their eggs. I have been researching and came up with some organic ways to kill the pestie little bugs. Has any one heard or used Diatomaceous earth food grade? I found this long video full of good information and wanted to share for those of you that don't know about it.
I would love to hear how you control your fleas and any feed back on using this stuff on my precious baby's.
http://youtu.be/RQn6GSHNzBE
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I know a bunch of people who use DE and are happy with it. My understanding from the vet is that it is VERY important to remove fleas from the environment as well as killing them on the dog.

We've never had a flea problem, but must have brought some back from our trip down south, despite putting Advantix on Kodi just before we left home. The vet suggested this site for the best information on flea control:

http://www.stopthefleas.com/

Then I found Sentry Natural Defense Flea and Tick Carpet Powder at our local Petco:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751718

This is a carpet flea powder that uses only natural botanicals. (I noticed they also have products to put on your animal, but I haven't tried them)

I put the spot-type flea stuff on the cat, but it was too soon to put it on Kodi again. So I washed him THOROUGHLY, using LOTS of soap to kill the fleas on him. Then I washed ALL his bedding, plus the bedding on our bed (because he cuddles with us there even though he sleeps in his crate) in the hottest cycle in my washing machine, to kill the eggs. Then I used the carpet powder EVERYWHERE, as directed. You sprinkle it onto carpets and upholstered furniture, rub it in, wait at least an hour, but 24 hours is best, then vacuum.

It worked completely with just one treatment, and it doesn't smell chemically at all. Just smells strongly of cinnamon and clove. Also, it's safe for pets and kids, so I didn't have to board our bird for the duration, which we've had to do for ant treatments in the past.

Not sure if this would work in areas that have really nasty fleas, like down south, but up here, where we were just dealing with "imported" fleas, this process seemed to do the trick!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I have heard of others on this forum having great success with the Diatomaceous Earth!!
Go for it!!

I have found that as long as I keep fleas under control on our cats Tillie typically doesn't get them... once or twice a year a may find one flea on her, I catch it, KILL it and then give her a really good bath with her regular bathing products, letting the conditioner really soak in. She is treated every month with Heartworm meds, but not flea meds. We give Frontline Plus to our cats every 4-5 weeks, but don't treat Tillie. We DID in the past a few times and although she didn't have a 'bad' reaction, the skin on her neck where the meds went got this sickly grey color to it and I did not like the looks of that!!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Ugh! Fleas give me the creepy-crawlies! Fleas were horrible this past year because of the warm winter.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Ugh! Fleas give me the creepy-crawlies! Fleas were horrible this past year because of the warm winter.
Me too! And once I knew he had them, I was SURE they were in my bed!!! I'm glad that I as able to get them under control pretty quickly!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have a big old bag of DE in my pantry. I've been using Halo Cloud Nine herbal dip and it has worked well. I also put a dab on their harnesses and haven't had any flea issues (knock on wood).
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Karen, I have made note of the information you posted above and put it in the boys' folder in the event it is ever needed. Thank goodness we don't seem to have flea problems here like some parts of the country. Knock on wood here too.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
rokipiki

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Roki has flea bite dermatitis so I have to be especially careful. He got some of those vampires on dog show in November. I did some research and found that pepermint essential oil is one of the strongest insectides. If you mix it with cedar oil it is even better. I put 20 drops of each into spray bottle, add two tsp of rubbing alcohol and shake it. Then I add water and spray everything. Vacuming is also VERY important. Since it is safe to use pepermint EO on dogs, I put cope of drops in his grooming spray. Smell is just fantastic! Rosemary, citronella and lemongrass EOs are also good for fleas

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Becky Chittenden

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Fleas were terrible in the South last year. My show vet suggested alternation Advantage and Frontline (can use the generic) every other week. I did this for about 2 months, sprayed the exercise area with an insecticide (Bayer) and in the house used DE and vaccumed alot. This worked for us. I prefer to go with natural defences but when push comes to shove, had to go with the other. I've also, in the past put a little DE on the dogs and always when I bathe them give them a dousing of diluted apple cider vinegar as a final rinse.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokipiki View Post
Roki has flea bite dermatitis so I have to be especially careful. He got some of those vampires on dog show in November. I did some research and found that pepermint essential oil is one of the strongest insectides. If you mix it with cedar oil it is even better. I put 20 drops of each into spray bottle, add two tsp of rubbing alcohol and shake it. Then I add water and spray everything. Vacuming is also VERY important. Since it is safe to use pepermint EO on dogs, I put cope of drops in his grooming spray. Smell is just fantastic! Rosemary, citronella and lemongrass EOs are also good for fleas
I'm sure there is peppermint in this carpet powder I got too, Marina.