SOMETHING seems to be going around!!! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
SOMETHING seems to be going around!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
SOMETHING seems to be going around!!!

OK, now KODI has a tummy bug! Yesterday late afternoon he asked to go out, didn't potty, but my son let him eat a couple of mouthfuls of grass sticking through the snow beside the garage. (this is not unusual... we call him our little cow because he eats so much grass... always has) The one came in, and immediately puked all over my brand new couch. Cleaned that all up with Resolve.

He seemed to feel alright after that, and was his normal, chipper self. So when he started begging for supper, (a little late, but not TOO late) I fed him some chicken and rice, which he wolfed down, and gave him half a Pepcid.

He seemed fine all night, so this morning, I fed him normally. He ran downstairs and asked Dave to let him out, then ran back up to get in bed with me, as usual. One smell, and I realized we had a problem. Into the shower for a butt bath, with clear evidence of diarrhea down his legs and tail. Got him cleaned up, but it happened twice more. (so two more butt baths) I feel bad for him running outside with a wet butt in this weather, but I don't know what else to do. He certainly wouldn't appreciate me dryer-ing his butt numerous times today!

He seems fine otherwise... not acting sick. So I think it's back to chicken and rice and Pepcid, and I'll add some pumpkin and double his probiotics too, for the next few days. If he seemed to feel sick, I'd take him to the vet. But without other symptoms, I know she'd just say to do what I'm doing.

I'm not sure if he picked something up at the trial, (though I never let him touch noses with other dogs at trials, and he ONLY drinks his own water out of his own bowl) or whether he ate something that didn't agree with him. (though I don't know what) But we skipped class this morning for two reasons. One, if he's got a bug, I don't want him "sharing", and also, I don't want him even eating training treats. That's actually the hardest part... staying home isn't bad, but he LOVES to work, and we usually have short training sessions several times a day. I don't dare give him anything extra until his tummy is back in order. Maybe he'd work for grains of rice?!?!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 36 Posts
I'm sorry he isn't feeling well Maddie has been a bit under the weather lately and she got sick on my bed. Although one of mine poops are looking constipated I'm not sure who. Hope Mr KODI gets better real soon.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
awwwww, poor guy! Hope he has a restful day and feels better soon!!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Hope he feels better soon. Hanna had a virus as a puppy and she had diahhrea all night. About eight but baths later and a trip to the vet the next morning, and she was good as new within a couple of days.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Thanks, everyone. He doesn't seem to feel awful, though I'm letting him lay low today. And he hasn't had any more diarrhea since this morning. I think I just made a BIG mistake thinking the vomiting last night was just a one time thing, and feeding him his usual breakfast. Chicken and rice tonight, for sure!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Don't know if this is of any significance, but last winter canine flu appeared on the Cape. All doggie daycares, groomers, vets, etc. we're encouraging flu shots for dogs who came in contact with other dogs. It was, initially, a series of two shots followed by yearly boosters. I just received Tyler's reminder card that he is due for his booster and made an appointment for him. Don't know if tummy upsets are part of this particular flu, but I do know that respiratory issues are - just like humans. It's worth a thought.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
Don't know if this is of any significance, but last winter canine flu appeared on the Cape. All doggie daycares, groomers, vets, etc. we're encouraging flu shots for dogs who came in contact with other dogs. It was, initially, a series of two shots followed by yearly boosters. I just received Tyler's reminder card that he is due for his booster and made an appointment for him. Don't know if tummy upsets are part of this particular flu, but I do know that respiratory issues are - just like humans. It's worth a thought.
He has no respiratory symptoms at all, and is not acting sick, so I doubt this is flu. I talked to my vet about the flu shot, and she didn't recommend for vaccine sensitive breeds that were healthy, normal adults. I suspect they may have suggested it for Tyler because a respiratory infection in an old dog could be very dangerous... just like older humans.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Poor baby. Feel better soon Kodi.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Aw, poor Kodi! Karen, I just can't picture Kodi with poopy butt! Hope your little man is soon back to normal. Glad he isn't acting like he feels sick.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
FancyNancy
Henry's Mom

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
So sorry Karen! Do you think that the Havanese is a breed particularly susceptible to sensitive stomachs? I'm beginning to think so after reading the frequent entries like yours on diarrhea and also my own experience with Henry. He is on a Sabine diet - home cooked - and still I have to be really careful otherwise he is runny stools and vomity too. Sigh. It's a tough life but someone has to love them!!! lol. Hope all returns to normal soon.