Havanese puppy 8 weeks potty training - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Havanese puppy 8 weeks potty training
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Caroline1804

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Havanese puppy 8 weeks potty training

Hi
I am new to this forum but we became last Thursday the lucky owners of a wonderful Havanese puppy. When i saw that such a specialized forum for Havanese existed, i didn't hesitate for a second to join it. We live in Copenhagen, Denmark. Before our little Havanese Carlos we used to have a wonderful Rottweiler Kenzo who was a great family dog. We had to put kenzo down last october as he got very old, had severe problems getting up and started to drop pee all over the place as his prostate was not working anymore. He was 14 years and getting that old for his race is a miracle. Anyhow after some weeks of a lot of discussion and reading my husband and I decided for a Havanese. Our little bundle Carlos is irresistible. We are crate training him. In the night he falls asleep with no problem in his crate and we shut the door and actually during the day he goes himself into his crate and naps with the door open. He is waking us up at least twice during the night to pee and poo. We carry him out to the garden and he does his needs there. Now the question is during the day, I am taking him out after food, water, play and sleep and every time he goes out he pees and poos. Is it normal for the Havanese puppies to poo 5-6 times a day? He has no diarrhea and his poo looks fine. Also I am feeding him royal canin mini dry food for junior small dogs. He was not eating much of this but now I am mixing the dry food with a table spoon of soft puppy food and he loves it. Can this be causing him to poo so much?
With regards to potty training, the accidents at home are getting fewer and he is getting more and more used to the garden. I would love to teach him when he needs to go outside to stand by the terrace door and bark. Does anyone know how to teach the Havanese this? Also why sometimes when he has just been outside peed and pooed, he can still get indoors and pee a couple of drops? Is he marking his territory or what? If I catch him in the act, I tell him no and take him straight outside. I am a bit worried when I will go to work again that I will have to start from scratch with the potty training, given that now I am taking him out almost every hour...any views on this? Carlos will need to be alone at least 6 hours during the week.
Thanks for any suggestions and tricks you may have.
Caroline1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Caroline1804

Thanks Karen. Carlos will be left alone from next week. My husband and I work and our daughter who is 16 doesn't get home before 2pm. I intend to leave him the crate opened and confine the area where he is allowed to be to the entrance hall plus the bathroom. I will leave him some newspapers on the bathroom floor so that he can do his needs there when we are gone. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be ok. Do you know when they start enjoying going for a walk with the leash? I just took out for his first walk and it was agony for him. I am hoping that with a good walk in the morning, he will get tired and sleep a lot while we are gone...
Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Caroline1804

Thanks again Karen. He kept on stopping, trying to bite on the leash. He hated it. I ended up carrying him back home after 10 mins spent to walk 50 meters...
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Welcome this is a great forum! It sounds like he is doing really good! He probably wont be old enough to tell you he has to go out for a very long time. Maybe up to a year old. If he is going to be left for six hours at a time he needs to have an indoor area for potty. He wont be able to hold it that long. Its hard to teach both areas and have a totally trained out door dog. I have two and are trained outside on my days off but have an indoor for the days I work. I would look in to the ugadoo? Mine are trained on piddle pads and wished I had started on the other because they get confused with all soft objects like my white bath mat. His food sounds like good food and three small meals a day is all he needs. You may be able to continue the out door training by having someone come to your house to let him out but three hours is still a long time for a small breed puppy dog to hold it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
wow, 8 weeks old is SO young ... remember, he is like an infant right now. Be patient and consistant!!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Caroline1804

Hi Tammy yes he is so young and so small. I will be trying to work from home as much as possible during the coming days and I might be able to take him with me to the office some other days. He is just so adorable and irresistible.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
personally I would bring the puppy to work until my boss said I couldn't anymore.

that's what I did...

what ever you do, don't take your personal frustration of the slow progress of potty training out on, or show your puppy. most of the time you won't catch the puppy doing the dirty deed in the wrong place, it'll be afterward. don't scold them after the fact, it won't work or help. you just have to let it go.

just be consistent and don't give up.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Hi Caroline, and welcome to the forum! I have several good friends who live in Denmark, two work at the University of Copenhagen, and the other lives further north, in Aarhus. I've had the pleasure of visiting Denmark twice, once in summer once in winter, It is a beautiful country!!!

You have already received some good advice, so I'll leave that where it is. I think you will see a big change in him in terms of being able to "hold it" overnight, and not needing to poop QUITE so often over the next few weeks. At 8 weeks, he's still an infant. By 12 weeks, you'll still definitely be working on potty training, and I doubt he'll be able to last for 6 hours without an indoor potty option, like pee pads or a litter box, but things will be getting MUCH easier.

I've never had a big dog, but from talking to many people who have, it does seem that potty training takes longer with the small breeds. BUT don't let ANYONE convince you that it isn't possible. It is most definitely possible, and isn't even all that hard as long as you are very persistent about supervising them, and restricting their movement until they are fully potty trained.

One more thing to remember... we have a forum "rule"... You MUST post pictures!!!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Karen,
my white anatolian,Oz, 6 months younger than Ollie, I got Oz at nine weeks, and on the first day home he had 1 accident. to date he has only had 1 accident. His litter was rescued and the foster home was a big ranch in WA.
so um, yeah, the little rascals are a wee harder to train (no pun intended).
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
Karen,
my white anatolian,Oz, 6 months younger than Ollie, I got Oz at nine weeks, and on the first day home he had 1 accident. to date he has only had 1 accident. His litter was rescued and the foster home was a big ranch in WA.
so um, yeah, the little rascals are a wee harder to train (no pun intended).
I've heard that time after time from big dog owners. Kodi seemed "normal" to me, because that's all I've ever known. It's not really that hard, but it does take LONGER, and you have to pay attention!

That said, one of my trainers has a lovely young lab puppy. She's an excellent trainer who has put UDX's on dogs. She also teaches many of the puppy classes at our training center. But I've seen that puppy have accidents at the center twice... once just a week ago, and the pup is probably 4 months at this point. So even with big dogs, I think there is some variation in terms of how fast they are completely reliable. (and, of course, the training center isn't exactly like being in your own house...)

Last edited by krandall; 01-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.
krandall is online now   Reply With Quote