Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
time it takes...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
esther620

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
time it takes...

The amount of time it takes for Bandit to circle around sniffing like a wild boy to find the perfect spot to poo outside while I stand in the wet and cold?? 20minutes.

The amount of time it takes for Bandit to poo in the house? The 2 minutes I have to run downstairs to get his toys.
esther620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
I have one like that too! Although, finally, he is getting a bit better. We have a nice strip of grass approximately 20+ feet wide and half a block long or better that is just outside our yard, where we take the boys out to potty, on leash. Augie is so good, when he has to poo, about going out and doing his business pronto. With Finn, I walk him back and forth on that strip of grass, sometimes back and forth, three times each direction, before he might poo, no matter if he tries to drag me back to the house. By now, I have figured out the times he usually goes. If he hasn't gone after that amount of walking, I figure he doesn't have too. But he was doing the poo thing the minute my back was turned too; it was a bit of a regression in his potty habits, and I just started taking him out every hour for awhile, and it seems to have taken care of that (knock on wood). But if we take him out and just let him sniff around, we would be out there a lot longer - the walking seems to get things going.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah, it's funny how they need to do the circle dance over and over and over again outside...yet inside they can go in a nanosecond. For Brody this equals his potty tray (but when he was a puppy, he once did it in the apartment hallway in the 5 seconds it took me to put the key in my door and lock it)...on his tray he just hops up and goes. Outside, it's circle, circle, circle...decide everything isn't quite right..move a bit....circle, circle, circle....and heaven forbid if I show ANY sign of impatience because that will stop him in his tracks and then it all has to start all over again. Sometimes it's hard when it's super cold out there and I'm thinking/feeling "go already, dammit...it's cold!"

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Too funny!
I didn't realize other dogs did the circle dance! Scudder is the only one in my crew. Fred will do a semi circle and then poo, but Scuds does a few circles. He is also a pacer. He is very serious when it comes to poo and he get super focused!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
That is so funny!!!
Whimsy is piddle pad trained and just circles around the pad twice gets on and and goes.
If we are outside playing and she has to go...she runs around the whole yard quite a bit before finding the perfect spot.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
pjewel
Super Moderator

Photo Submissions 39 Times in 25 Posts
Milo does that. It takes him forever to sniff out exactly the right spot, then he circles and circles till the urge finally hits him.

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
rokipiki

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Roki has a pee ritual. First he sniffs some other dog pee forever. Then a bit of thinking is done just to make decision to pee or not to pee! Like some kind of canine Hamlet! Than he lifts one leg, but whendoing that decides that is not the right leg fot that particular busines. Sniffing again, lifting anotre leg... Peeing! Than he moves to leave the crime scene, but suddenly decides that it is not enough an pees again...

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
It seems that most of them have some crazy rituals. Tyler goes back and forth, up and down the backyard for what seems like forever before he settles on a spot. Not fun in rainy and/or cold weather and that seems to be when he dilly dallies the most. Oh well, as long as they get the job done I guess it doesn't matter how. They are so funny to watch.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
lfung5
LINDA

Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Fred will scale the side of a mountain to get privacy. He hates to be seen and always goes off the path. It's way too cute. People will stop and watch as he is climbing up the side of Mt Misery. I have to yell, that's far enough Fred!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Ain't it the truth! Mig will poke around for a millenium in the yard chasing the poor herons and lizards, sniff every leaf and blade of grass, then finally pee.