Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
De-matting comb?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Sparkle

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
De-matting comb?

Do any of you use a de-matting comb? I know my groomer used them on my Maltese (RIP, Bridget!). But I can't remember anyone mentioning the de-matting comb on this forum. Are these a big no-no unless you're a professional groomer? Pro's/con's?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I HAVE used them, but only in places that don't show, that are hard to get to otherwise. It does sort of the same thing as slicing though a mat vertically, away from the skin. The advantage is that the blade part is inside a curve, so it's harder to cut the dog than with a scissor blade. The disadvantage is that you can't place the cuts precisely, the way you can with scissors, so you lose more hair.

The one I have is VERY small (the smallest they make, as far as I know). I've used it less than a handful of times in 3 1/2 years.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
rokipiki

I don't want event to think about those slicers because our ex-grooomer used it once on Roki and destroyed his coat. But I am thinking about CC one. Here is the link and it is the last comb on the bottom od the page

http://www.chrissystems.com/grooming...cat-combs.aspx

Anyone has this one? It looks good, but fot me it is quite an investment!

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
rokipiki

I don't want event to think about those slicers because our ex-grooomer used it once on Roki and destroyed his coat. But I am thinking about CC one. Here is the link and it is the last comb on the bottom od the page

Anyone has this one? It looks good, but for me it is quite an investment!

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates rokipiki Great Photo:
julie9 (01-21-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
marlowe'sgirl

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
During blowing coat for the areas I can't see, definitely. But even that was too much work so I ended up just getting an electric razor and shaving his chest/belly and armpit/inside of the legs areas. That was a huge relief of grooming burden and my Hav still looks like the shaggy mop you expect. I prefer to use scissors for any giant matts that appear (like behind the ears), but you do risk cutting your pup's skin and a dematting comb significantly decreases that likelihood.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokipiki View Post

Anyone has this one? It looks good, but fot me it is quite an investment!
I didn't see one on their site... can you give the exact page address? In any case, as I said, I only use the very smallest one, ONLY in hidden areas, and ONLY when there aren't other options without causing him a lot of discomfort. I definitely don't think it's something you'd want to use on a regular basis, or anyplace that shows!!!

The CC tool I did buy at the show last weekend that I think will be quite useful is a very small, triangular headed slicker brush that I think will be very useful for getting into tight places, like between the legs and behind elbows. Again, not an every day tool, but for the right moment.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I don't use a dematter on my dog, but I do on clients' dogs to break up mats if I am dematting and if the greyhound comb would pull too much and the slicker wouldn't be as effective. It's great for pulling out undercoat too although that can backfire on some breeds. I never use a dematter on sensitive areas. Using scissors is extremely dangerous.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
tokipoke

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I have dematters but I don't use them. I find even in experienced hands, they are dangerous. I don't want to risk slicing open a dog. I worked at a salon that banned them and I just learned to work without one. If the mats are really bad, I always suggest cutting or shaving them. In sensitive areas like armpits, chest, stomach, neck, loin, I always suggest shaving. The hair grows back. Continuous dematting ruins the hair anyway, and the hair mats up more.

The first two pictures are dematting tools available and ones that groomers use. I know many people will use them on ears (yikes) and even tails - but if the mats are very close to the skin, you can accidentally cut the skin right open, or even cut yourself. I teach a grooming workshop for a rescue and I do not allow the dematting tool.

You can use letter openers for some mats like in the third picture. I have the Les Poochs Matzapper brush that I cannot live without. I have been able to demat most dogs in a short amount of time. Dematting ears and tail have been a breeze. Misting the mats on ears if they are greasy with baby powder will help as you brush.

If you like to use the dematting tools, nothing wrong with that - just be very careful and know how to use them!

My rule of thumb is if I cannot brush it, I will cut it, if I cannot cut it, I will shave it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21+l5Hn4XiL.jpg (5.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg TP19127_600X600.JPG (20.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg letter-opener-3-1116-303540.jpg (171.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
tokipoke

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I would like to note that I cut out mats that are away from the skin. It's like a ball of tangles on the end of the hair. Usually it snags in the comb, and some dogs are sensitive to brushing these mats out. There is typically a good inch or half inch from the ball of mat and the skin, so I will use scissor to cut out all the mats to make brushing easier. Never use scissors in the armpits!

Last edited by tokipoke; 01-15-2013 at 01:21 PM.
tokipoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
Sparkle

Ok, so I'm thinking I'll stay clear of de-matting combs! Now I understand why I haven't seen anyone recommending on on this forum! Good info, ladies.