The Power of Choice - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
The Power of Choice
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
The Power of Choice

This is SUCH an important video for people to watch. Even though most of the video uses (captive)wild animal subjects, the principles are EXACTLY the same when working with your dog!

http://youtu.be/QQ2MpmxUgSA

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
great stuff Karen, thanks. Trust and respect are much in the same boat and it is imperative to protect our dogs trust. I don't like the words command or obedience when it comes to dog training. Obedience means "submissive to one's will", and command has negative implications as well. These words do not give the animal a choice like this great article talks about. Choice is indeed critical and it builds trust. I think the terms trust and choice are reciprocal. I like this quote from Dr. Roger Abrantes ... "Going hand in hand — or perhaps I should say whip in hand — with the term command is the term obey. Those who do not follow commands are, by implication, disobedient, and therefore deserving of punishment. Commanding is very different from signaling your dog to produce a behavior you desire. In the latter case, if the communication is unsuccessful, it’s not your dog’s fault but yours."

If there's no CHOICE for your dog it becomes a command.

Last edited by davetgabby; 01-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetgabby View Post
great stuff Karen, thanks. Trust and respect are much in the same boat and it is imperative to protect our dogs trust. I don't like the words command or obedience when it comes to dog training. Obedience means "submissive to one's will", and command has negative implications as well. These words do not give the animal a choice like this great article talks about. Choice is indeed critical and it builds trust. I think the terms trust and choice are reciprocal. I like this quote from Dr. Roger Abrantes ... "Going hand in hand or perhaps I should say whip in hand with the term command is the term obey. Those who do not follow commands are, by implication, disobedient, and therefore deserving of punishment. Commanding is very different from signaling your dog to produce a behavior you desire. In the latter case, if the communication is unsuccessful, its not your dogs fault but yours."

If there's no CHOICE for your dog it becomes a command.
Unfortunately, we can't get away from the word "obedience" in the performance world, because it is built into the name of the sport. But I agree, I certainly don't like to emphasize it, not do I use the word "command". I like "cue" instead. Again, because in formal, competitive obedience, "signal" means something very specific... a non-verbal cue.

The trainers I work with are both very much of this mindset. They are quick to correct anyone who says their dog "won't" do something. If a dog isn't performing as expected, even on a well established task, It's not that they "won't" but that they CAN'T, under those specific circumstances at that specific time. It's our job to figure out WHY they can't and help them through it.

As our APDT judges always remind us, the DOG didn't make the entry. It's our RESPONSIBILITY FIRST to make sure the dog has fun. (most of the AKC judges are too serious to say something like that )

Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
davetgabby
Dave T

I hear ya Karen, dog trainers and such have and always will struggle with terminology. lol
Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Here's another video a friend posted today which goes REALLY well with the idea of giving the dog a choice.

http://youtu.be/-cGDYI-s-cQ

Of course, our Havs are a friendly, contact-loving breed IN GENERAL, but not all dHavs love being patted, and probably FEW of them want it all the time. Kodi is VERY clear when he wants more... If he's laying on or against you, and you STOP stroking him, he looks right in your face, with a vey hurt expression, and starts whining until you begin stroking again!

Hope some other people besides you and me are watching these, Dave... Otherwise I'm preaching to the choir!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

yep another good video. This really comes into play when doing the recall. Thanks again Karen.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
RitaandRiley

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm watching, Karen!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaandRiley View Post
I'm watching, Karen!
Good mom Rita , (chin-rub, chin-rub)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
I like the food tray bucket! I can see using something like that on a walk and just keep reaching and treating so much eaiser than going into my pocket
Okay so if you were with a litter of puppy's could you use this petting technique to help pick out a dog that would maybe be more into someone petting and touching? Do you think it starts that young? Maddie always comes back for more . Sometimes Zoe seems to want to be close and touched but not with strangers. Maybe my technique of having a stranger put their hand out and try to pet her isn't a good idea. I usually pick her up and bring her more to the persons level and ask them to let her sniff and then pet. Maybe just a sniff is better.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
The Power of Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Here's another video a friend posted today which goes REALLY well with the idea of giving the dog a choice.

http://youtu.be/-cGDYI-s-cQ

Of course, our Havs are a friendly, contact-loving breed IN GENERAL, but not all dHavs love being patted, and probably FEW of them want it all the time. Kodi is VERY clear when he wants more... If he's laying on or against you, and you STOP stroking him, he looks right in your face, with a vey hurt expression, and starts whining until you begin stroking again!

Hope some other people besides you and me are watching these, Dave... Otherwise I'm preaching to the choir!
I'm watching, too, and taking it all in for the future. Hopefully this old brain will
co-operate and be able to recall it when the time is right.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote