Pain Meds After Spay? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Pain Meds After Spay?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Lola :)

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pain Meds After Spay?

Lola was spayed earlier today and I'm going to pick her up in about an hour, I sure did miss her today! I talked to the vet and they said all went well. Lola also had got a microchip and a few teeth extracted (the vet said they were pretty loose). I wanted to know what anyone's experience is with the pain meds after being spayed/neutered. I'm sure little Lola will be in a lot of pain from the surgery and teeth extraction, but I'm really weary to give her pain meds because I don't want her to feel sick from them, but I also don't want her to be miserable from the pain. The doctor said she would have 1/4th of a tablet and to give with food. Has anyone's dog gotten sick after the pain meds? Thanks!

Also...I have my onesies ready for Lola, as recommended from many on here!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
My dog was given an anti-inflammatory (sort of like advil) after her surgery. She needed it the first day and didn't need it beyond that.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Tillie was given pain meds at the vet before I picked her up and didn't get any sent home with her ... she was miserable, but a trooper... even drug herself out of her crate, outside to go potty. It is heart breaking though... I was worried a lot, but she came through everything fine and was mostly back to herself within 1-2 weeks. good luck!
Glad you got the onesies!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
Whimsy did just fine on pain meds!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Gabs

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
no problems at all with the pain meds.. and she needed them. They are more likely to be sick from the anesthetic - just need to make sure you give the pain med (mine was liquid) with food. I always made sure she ate 1st, then gave the pain meds.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
Lola :)

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the responses, it's reassuring to know that your fur-babies did fine with the pain meds. I brought Lola home about an hour ago and immediately put the onesie on because she couldn't even rest her head with the cone. She's doing a lot better than I thought, sleepy but still alert and nosy! I'll give her some soft ID food in the morning because she had five teeth extracted (yikes!) and then I'll give the anti-inflammatory medicine.Thanks again for all of your support
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hope Lola is doing well and resting comfortably.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
emichel

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
I know the neutering for male dogs isn't quite as big of a deal, but my boy did have a little bit of discomfort the first night. He told me this by panting and whimpering -- not too bad, though. I was given a bottle of 25 mg Rimadyl - chewable and liver flavored, so he liked them. I was to cut them in half and give them 2 times a day as needed for pain, and I gave them for the first couple of days. He seemed fine after the first night, and had no problems with sickness from the meds. All the best to Lola, I hope she recovers quickly! How come she had to have the teeth pulled? Poor baby. :-( Sorry if you have addressed this question elsewhere!

Eileen and Benjamin
emichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Gabs

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola :) View Post
Thanks for the responses, it's reassuring to know that your fur-babies did fine with the pain meds. I brought Lola home about an hour ago and immediately put the onesie on because she couldn't even rest her head with the cone. She's doing a lot better than I thought, sleepy but still alert and nosy! I'll give her some soft ID food in the morning because she had five teeth extracted (yikes!) and then I'll give the anti-inflammatory medicine.Thanks again for all of your support
All the best to your baby girl! My gabby just had surgery on Monday (lump removal - she's totally fine thank goodness) its amazing how quickly they bounce back! You go from worrying that they are in pain and are sick, to OMG how am I gonna keep them quiet for the next week while they heal
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
waybrook

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabs View Post
All the best to your baby girl! My gabby just had surgery on Monday (lump removal - she's totally fine thank goodness) its amazing how quickly they bounce back! You go from worrying that they are in pain and are sick, to OMG how am I gonna keep them quiet for the next week while they heal
That's exactly right - keeping her quiet after the day was the biggest challenge with Panda!

Hope Lola does well and bounces back quickly!