Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Dryer and home grooming supplies
Old 01-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Ewokpup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Dryer and home grooming supplies

So....we are moving to another place in our neighborhood...and the new place has a laundry room with a 'set tub'!!!

So not only are we saving on trips to the laundromat, but to the groomer as well. Of course Bama will still go to get her nails done and for 'sanitary trims' (and any major haircuts), but the days of needing to use the self-wash pods are behind us.

Which brings me to my question....any recommendations on a hair dryer? I don't think I even own one for humans...despite having long hair I always go the 'air dry' method.

And also, should I look into a grooming table? Do folks have recommendations for products that can be adapted into mini grooming stations? (Such as stuff from target or staples or ikea maybe)?
Ewokpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
dodrop82

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm trying to find a good reasonably priced dryer as well. So I can't wait to hear everyone's advice...I've looked back thru old threads about dryers, but they're always pretty short threads without much input. I really think I need to go with one on a stand, as there's not enough room on the grooming table to set a canister one with a hose...And, Ewokpup, a small little grooming table would make the process a whole lot easier for ya...I can't even comb out the girls without my grooming table!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Maybe Karen (krandall) will help you locate her photos of her setup. Since you have a laundry room now, maybe you could do a grooming set-up like she has done. She does it on either her washer or dryer, with a restraining strap attached to a cabinet above, and a non-slip mat for Kodi to stand on.

*See link in my post below - I found it!

I recently bought a Double K ChallengAir 2000XL dryer with variable speed. It does not have a heat element but there is a bit of warmth produced by the motor. I like the variable speed and it is fairly quiet. It is fairly large and heavy, feels good and solid. But it certainly is not going to fit on a grooming table. IF I ever get a set-up in the laundry room like Karen has done, it would sit on the dryer or washer, and my boys could be groomed on the opposite appliance.

Last edited by motherslittlehelper; 01-26-2013 at 03:43 PM.
motherslittlehelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
motherslittlehelper
Linda

OK, this should be a link to the thread with her her post. Scroll down to her post.

http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthr...ooming+station

Last edited by motherslittlehelper; 01-26-2013 at 03:44 PM.
motherslittlehelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
not sure what others think, but I've always used a good human hair dryer with a cool setting to dry Tillie... never had an issue. it was like $20.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
motherslittlehelper
Linda

That is what I have used until now, Tammy. Augie's hair is very thick. My human dryer was taking forever. My newest human dryer, although the same brand and the same wattage or whatever they say on the package as my old one, didn't seem to have the same oomph as my older one. I just decided I needed a new toy!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
dodrop82

Yeah Tammy...that's what we have always used, but my Mom buys the cheapest one she can find, and the one she has currently blows soooo hot, I despise the thing! And like Linda, it's time for me to buy a new grooming toy. I upgrade on grooming supplies with my income tax return every year. This year, it's gonna be a new shears, a Buttercomb, and a dryer!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
yabooklady

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a new Hav owner and have been using my home ionic dryer...the thicker my dogs' coat gets, the longer it takes. I spent 35 minutes tonight drying and she wasn't even dry at her skin and my dryer was too hot. I didn't even know there were dog dryers...I'm currently looking a the B-Air Dryer...if it can save me 70% of my time like it claims, then yaaaaahooo! If you know of another dryer that is better, please let me know!
yabooklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
dodrop82

I think I found my winner. The variable speed Dog Shammy. It's not on a stand, but can be attached to a wall, or under the grooming table...Anyone have any knowledge about this brand/model?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
i bought a grooming table at costco (ordered it online for $99) includes a grooming arm with a noose. best money i've ever spent at costco. Someone else bought a cheap table a ikea and just attached a grooming arm and it looked very practical as well.

As for a dryer, i'm looking forward to the responses you get. I've been using my good quality hair dryer on a lower heat setting with good results, but my hav doesn't have a thick coat. I've thought of investing in a fancy dryer but not sure which to get or if it's worth the investment. I haven't found that i need a stand for the dryer because I like to keep it moving. I also found that I've been much more successful if i let her partially air dry for an hour or two before I try to blowdry her.

Last edited by Tuss; 01-27-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote