ARE BULLY sticks bad for humans? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
ARE BULLY sticks bad for humans?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Alcibides

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
ARE BULLY sticks bad for humans?

Is it true that bully sticks can make humans sick? If you've handled a bully stick must you wash your hands in fear of e coli etc etc? If they're so bad or bad at all for humans, how safe can they be for our pups? ANyone have the scoop on these beloved dog treats? Thanks so much.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
not sure, but some people feed dogs raw chicken without any problem yet no way I would eat it! also, the standards for food intended for "dogs" don't have to have the same safety standards as those deemed for "human consumption" so they have to post those kinds of warnings.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
jillnors2

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never heard this, my dogs get bully sticks frequently and I handle them all the time. No problems.
jillnors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
Lol... I had visions of you munching on a bully from your title. My understanding about why raw and gross things like bully sticks are ok for dogs and not humans is that dogs have shorter, faster digestive tracks so not enough time for the bacteria cause damage. That being said... I have never had a problem with bully sticks (except for the smell). But in all things dog... Safe food handling practices are the best defense.... That does mean washing your hands when ever possible after handling. But then again...the more your exposed to the better your defenses, unless you have a compromised immune sytstem
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
funny you should ask. This just came out the day you posted ,yesterday . I'm waiting to hear from Sabine. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...ews+--+Dogs%29
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I asked Sabine her views on the article and forgot to ask her whether a certain brand might be safer. Here's her reply

Just goes to show once again that common sense really isn't.

Something that is marketed as "fully digestible" adds calories? No way!

Something that is essentially slaughterhouse waste and by its very nature exposed to animal urine is contaminated with bacteria? No way!

People should wash their hands after handling animal product based food and treats? No way!!

By the way, according to my information that I have, some bully sticks can supply as much as 35 kcal per inch.

I had to laugh , because she went to the University of Guelph. lol

Last edited by davetgabby; 01-29-2013 at 08:24 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Lol... I had visions of you munching on a bully from your title. My understanding about why raw and gross things like bully sticks are ok for dogs and not humans is that dogs have shorter, faster digestive tracks so not enough time for the bacteria cause damage. That being said... I have never had a problem with bully sticks (except for the smell). But in all things dog... Safe food handling practices are the best defense.... That does mean washing your hands when ever possible after handling. But then again...the more your exposed to the better your defenses, unless you have a compromised immune sytstem
Oh, man, I had the same visions!! So glad to learn that is NOT the case!! After I found out what they were, I haven't brought another into the house!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Tuss

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Okay, i read that article that Dave posted and the tested bully sticks tested positive in a couple cases for MRSA and C.Diff. Yeah. OK. I won't be buying those ever again!

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Me too Not buying them anymore
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Alcibides

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Me too Not buying them anymore

The article Dave posted (thank you so much Dave) put it all in perspective. The time it takes for these bacterial sources to entertain our puppies isn't worth the possibility of infection (for elderly me or my very young grandchildren!). I wonder if it's all true as well for pig ears and the other body parts that look so delicious in pet food stores. What (when it's chicken and not peanut butter) is inside those boiled bones that Lucky loves? We have half chewed bully sticks all over our house. I'm cleaning them out and sticking to antlers. Thank you forum again. Boy this site is the best. Bravo.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
whimsy
Evelyn

Photo Submissions 20 Times in 18 Posts
I bought one last year...Whimsy didn't want anything to do with it. I dumped it. Yuck.