Update on Django - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Update on Django
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
littlebuddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Update on Django

Well, it has been a slow recovery from the colonoscopy and the ulcerated colitis. He's been on daily pred. and tylan antibiotic for 2 weeks and the vets recommendation is we continue with this method of treatment until he is 100% better. The concern is he's at about 75% right now and if we stop treatment, he will fall back down the dark hole again.

He seems to be handling the pred well. He's eating his kibble now on a daily basis and no more bloody bottom.

We went and saw an allergist last week. All this time I thought he had a terrible fungus but doesn't. He was diagnosed with Sebaceous Adenitis. I guess it's common with dogs with hair. Because of his current situation and all the meds he's on, the vet decided to do a topical treatment, almost like a spa treatment. I won't start this until he's 100% back to normal.

Other than that, he seems to be doing well. Slow road to recovery but at least we are on the right path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[4].JPG (35.9 KB, 165 views)
littlebuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 20 Times in 18 Posts
awww...poor baby has been thro alot! Tough on the owner as well. Glad things are starting to look up for you both. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Poor Django! I can't believe he has something else to deal with now! Feel better soon, little guy!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
rokipiki

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sebaceous adenitis? How allergist diagnosed that? Has he made a biopsy? It seems to me that Django has pretty good coat and dogs with SA tend to have poor coat, lose coat a lot... Red fur on his muzzle indicates that he has malesezia (yeast) overgrowth and that is the consequence of taking cortisone meds which compromise immunity.
Django is our little hero! Get well soon dear boy!

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
andra

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Continued prayers and strength and good wishes sent your way and Django's way for the rest of the healing journey. Thank you for the update and cute picture
andra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Momo means Peach

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Many good thoughts to Django for his continued recovery!

Momo means Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
poor baby. Their is a study for Havanese that I was told about I'm not sure its still going on .

This is the information I have I recommend finding out about it.This page was last updated: October 14, 2010
You are visitor number
Welcome to the Havanese SA information pages. This isn't MY webpage - it's OURS; all the Havanese owners that have a dog affected by SA; all the Havanese breeders that are trying to eliminate this gene from their breeding programs. We are all in this together for our dogs. I hope this will help answer some questions about SA in the Havanese breed. I would love to receive stories and photos to make this as helpful for the next person as possible. Please submit them to janizona@gmail.com

If you have a website, I encourage you to link to this page so more people can find help for their dogs. Those of us with SA dogs know how frustrating the misdiagnosis at the vets can be.

BREEDERS! PLEASE CONTACT ALL YOUR PUPPY OWNERS THAT HAVE DOGS OVER 7 YEARS OLD AND ASK THEM TO PARTICIPATE!!

We also need dogs of any age that show any of the symptoms listed below.

OWNERS! IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN CONTACTED BY YOUR BREEDER, PLEASE ASK THEM WHY!
Sebaceous Adenitis is a devastating, immune mediated skin disease in dogs. There are several other breeds with SA and some of the symptoms are similar but each breed does seem to have some differences.

SA symptoms can be mild or severe, which is why is isn't detected as often as it could if we had a blood test. The most common misdiagnosis is probably allergies. Sometimes the dog will itch but most of the time they don't scratch as much as you'd expect with allergies.

The clinical signs of SA are variable, depending on the degree of inflammation of the sebaceous glands and the proportion of glands affected.

They would include but not be limited to one or more of the following:

Coat: some type of coat loss. The hair seems thinner and the owner may notice scaling, which resembles large dandruff flakes. The scaling has been described as silvery or gray and these scales adhere tightly to the skin and base of the hair shaft. The skin may become darkened and appear gray or black and may also thicken (hyperkeratosis) or appear greasy. In addition, the coat color and texture may change. There may be loss of undercoat, an uneven patchy coat loss, or a generalized coat loss. The ears may appear crusty, flaky or frayed. There can be mild scaling and hair loss all the way to prominent scaling and complete hair loss. In general the coat is dull, dry, and/or brittle and the dog may have an odor that is often described as “musty” or “rancid.”

Ears: yellow or dark brown/black ear wax that is very difficult to clean out of the ears. Regular ear cleaners don't work. Usually a little baby oil or olive oil and a cotton swab are the only ways to clean this debris out of the ears. In addition, flakes on the inside of the ear flaps, especially right near the edges. I actually had a dog with no other symptoms other than "dirty" ears, he actually had a beautiful coat and skin, but I recognized the ear symptom and had him tested and he is affected.

Eyes: weepy and irritated eyes with a musky odor - kind of like a dirty dish rag. The moisture can cover much of the face or remain just under the eyes and may develop a sticky or crusty consistency making the hair around the eyes difficult to groom. Because of the moisture, the skin underneath the moist hair can become sore or irritated. When the eyes are this severe, they usually itch, resulting in the dog rubbing his face on the carpet or back of furniture.

Skin: In severe cases there may be multiple, crusty skin lesions present.

There seems to be a cycle to the symptoms and the dog will improve for a while with coat regrowth and then it comes back again.

Please let me know if your dog has symptoms not listed here!

AKC Canine Health Foundation News Alert

Havanese Participation Needed for Study of Sebaceous Adenitis [Thursday, July 23, 2009]

Researchers at the University of Minnesota are seeking assistance collecting samples for AKC Canine Health Foundation Grant 1346-A: Genetic Basis of Sebaceous Adenitis in Dogs. The principal investigator for this project is Sandra Koch, DVM, MS, DACVD.

The aim of this project is to hopefully determine the mode of inheritance of sebaceous adenitis in Havanese dogs with the ultimate goal of providing preliminary data for future studies to identify the gene(s) associated with sebaceous adenitis in dogs.

We are looking for Havanese dogs of any age with suspected or diagnosed sebaceous adenitis and Havanese dogs that are 7 years of age or older without sebaceous adenitis. Owners interested in participating in the study will first submit the form (see link below)
and send to dejas1@msn.com. You will be contacted if you need to make a visit to your vet or if they need anything else from you. If you are chosen to be in the study, your vet will collect one 5 ml blood sample and/or two or three 6 mm skin biopsy samples.
The skin sample is taken using a local anesthetic, not a general. The procedures is not much worse than getting a microchip.
Dogs in full coat may participate. In those cases, the skin sample is taken from under a layer of coat and the area does not have to be shaved.

All individual results will be kept confidential.

The study covers the costs of the visit fee, blood sample and biopsy. In addition, the study clients will receive $12 for a blood sample and $40.00 for skin biopsy samples as compensation for their participation.

To participate or to learn more, please contact any of the following:
Mary Ellen at 763-213-1498 or dejas1@msn.com;
Dr. Sandra Koch at 612-625-6212 or nogu0005@umn.edu; or
Dr. Sheila Torres at 612-625-3715 or torre009@umn.edu.

Click here to support important research at the AKC Canine Health Foundation and please consider a recurring gift.
Director of Education, Communications and Club Relations
AKC Canine Health Foundation
919-334-4010
888-682-9696
www.akcchf.org

The AKC Canine Health Foundation, founded in 1995 by the American Kennel Club, is the largest nonprofit worldwide to fund health research exclusively for canines. Our goal is to help dogs live longer, healthier lives. The AKC Canine Health Foundation is the leader in non-invasive genetic health research, stem cell research, and biotherapeutics benefiting both canines and humans. Through the generous financial support of the American Kennel Club and the Nestlé Purina PetCare Co., we’re proud to announce we have allocated more than $22 million in canine health research through more than 75 schools and research institutions worldwide.

Owner_contact_and_dog_infor_form__SA_study.doc
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Poor little guy. It doesn't seem fair he has so much going on.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
I agree with everyone that SA is suspicious diagnosis, especially at his age, he would have shown signs before now. Django does have autoimmune conditions so moving to skin would not be totally surprising-- there is a skin aspect too of UC. I may be biased, especially regarding the dermatologist, cause we were told the boys had a million things wrong with them when we saw one-- and all other doctors disagreed.

I am also a bit concerned about the use of Tylan for gut issues. Tylan is the abx in products like angel eyes for tear staining... a good abx for yeast, etc... these products also say they use it for tear stains cause it is not in a class of commonly used antibiotics for dogs. but for gut issues, drugs like flagyl are more often used (did he have a reaction to flagyl?)

I know Django is complicated, and don't mean to be a back seat Vet. Just want to throw some ideas out there for you to communicate with your vet.

has anyone suggested a biologic immune regulator for Django. like Remicade instead of prednisone. Or, what about a something like humans get for UC called Apriso which is mesalamine (this really helped me with my UC)

I may be overstepping my bounds here... but I just feel all these doctors may see a dog with a lot of stuff going on and momma willing to open up her pocketbook. Would you consider taking Django to a specialty internist (perhaps integrative) to review all his issues and get 2nd overview opinion? I just feel everything may be connected. And you may need a fresh set of eyes that has no history with D.

I may be biased, especially regarding the dermatologist, cause we were told the boys had a million things wrong with them when we saw one-- and all other doctors disagreed.

but thinking of you and your boy. I wish you both the best.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Pipersmom
Julie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Much love to Django! Hope he has an uneverntful recovery, he has had more than his share of feeling badly.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote