Autism and New Puppy! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Autism and New Puppy!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Odieo

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Autism and New Puppy!

I guess it's not too late to ask this question, but does any one have some knowledge they can impart on having an autistic kid at home and bringing a new puppy? We are bringing Odeo home next Friday!!!!

I don't know if any one of you will be of help here, but I thought I should ask any way!

My younger son is on the spectrum, he is 8 yrs old and hi-moderate functioning, he can talk (we decided to throw grammar out of the window at this point), he is very independent and is an extremely funny little guy. He is very social and initially wanted a cat and not a dog. Since he is a fan of Garfield (go figure!) but my husband has a lot of allergies and my older one (10 yr old) wanted a dog, so we picked Odeo. Finally after lot of talking and explaining my little guy is all excited, we have all of Odeo's gear (crate, ex-pen, pee-pads, kongs) and he keeps telling us it's for "his puppy". I'm glad he is able to connect, and every time we visit the puppy he is little antsy (since they have other dogs there as well) He did pet Odeo couple of times and is really excited seeing him and one time he even kissed him.

Are there any specific things/ tips we have to keep in mind to make the transition easier for both of them? Some time tips are applicable to all kids...special needs or not :-)
Odieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
There is a experienced Forum member that may be checking in on this. Welcome.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Atticus

Submit Photo: 7
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Take your time with the pup and your son,this can be a wonderful relationship but patience with both will help! You may enjoy going on youtube and searching dogs and autism. There is a group, 4 paws something, that trains dogs to be with autistic kids. I realize this is not your situation but you might be interested. I am retired now but have worked with many kids, Deaf with autism some had dogs at home. Of course children and dogs vary but it can be a wonderful experience for both! Just keep in mind that this puppy in a few years may be a wonderful companion but is a puppy now! good luck! and enjoy it all!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Laurief

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! How exciting for you and your family!!

I do not have an autistic child, but will say that this past Sunday I started a research project with Rutgers University trying to establish the benefit of therapy dogs with autistic children.

My Logan met his "child" this past weekend. He is a very Low functioning boy, very very very active. As a dog owner, my first inclination was to be sure that Logan was "safe" He did have to be held many times during our visit to keep from getting run over

I think it is fantastic that your son is asking about the pup, and has reached out and pet him! My recommendation would be to 100% supervise them for quite a while, until you are comfortable with how they are together. If Odieo is a "reactive" pup, you dont want him getting frightened - and need to be sure that the "active" puppy does not upset your son. Both my therapy dogs also visit with nursing homes and dementia units and I see a MAJOR benefit to those people, so I would have to imagine your son will do great!

I think it is such a great adventure you guys are starting on!

If you are interested on keeping up with the progress of our research project, feel free to private message me!

Best of luck to you guys!
Laurie
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Julie
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!

Submit Photo: 35
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 14 Posts
Welcome Odieo

I have a son who is also autistic on the slightly higher then moderate spectrum. He is going to be 12 Feb. 15. He is a very loving little boy, verbal but almost all is echolalia. We had a beloved sheltie pass away when Robbie was 5 and brought another sheltie into our family shortly after losing him. Robbie loved Vinnie. He was what I would call a "hard lover". You know what I mean? Wanted to push a little hard, wanted to have them not get away. Vinnie was a sheltie and didn't really like Robbie much. He was a great dog and still is a wonderful dog (even did a certified reading program with at risk kids at school) but he is a bit careful around Robbie,even to this day. Vinnie loves Robbie and interacts with him,but I would say Vinnie would prefer to nuzzle him as opposed to having Robbie pet him etc. Shelties are rather known for being a bit standoffish anyway, but I am happy how Vinnie and Robbie have boundaries up and respect each other. You can see my beautiful Vincent at the bottom of my post in my signature line.

Because of Vinnie's lack of interaction with Robbie as a young dog, I started lots of research on a breed that would suit Robbie. I read how havanese make great therapy dogs,how lovable and playful they are,how they adapt and love children and I was sold! My husband thought I was completely nuts,but a havanese was in our future!

Quincy is my havanese and he is wonderful with Robbie. He engages Robbie and Robbie engages him and I think my favorite thing about Quincy is his forgiving nature. For example: My son has lots of tone in his left hand and left foot so his gait is a bit ackward. If Robbie accidently steps on Quincy's tail, Quincy may react with a snarfy sound,but forgives Robbie and is ready to approach him or interact seconds later.

"Behind every unstable dog is a lesson for the owner"-Cesar Millan

Check out my Etsy store:http://www.etsy.com/shop/FunFauxPaws?page=1
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
MopTop Havanese
Katie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 14 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! I have placed two of our puppies in a home with an autistic boy. They are all thriving and doing so good! Just be sure you have an xpen or someplace to put the puppy when he needs time alone, or time for your son to be able to play without the puppy biting at his heels!
I also have a 13yr old autistic boy that lives next door. They have two dogs also, (not Havanese) and Kane was petrified of dogs when he was younger! I was absolutely blown away at how those dogs brought Kane out of his shell and he is no longer afraid of dogs. Of course, this took awhile, as they have had the dogs for a few years now. But Kane is the most loving sweet boy with his pups!

Katie

www.MopTopHavanese.com
Paws.....and reflect on what life has given you~
MopTop Havanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Julie
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!

Submit Photo: 35
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 14 Posts
I think the most important thing is to be careful when they both meet for the first time and put up rules for your son regarding the pup.

He can pet the puppy when you say etc. Keep it all supervised. A havanese puppy is small and can easily get hurt. You want to foster a great relationship between the two,but with boundaries. My son could not pull hair, so I was not worried about that. I did make a rule that when the puppy was in the crate,he had to leave him alone. Puppy in crate meant he was tired and needed sleep,etc. Keep it simple and straight forward.

Quincy is now almost 7 and he jumps in Robbie's bed each night to listen to the book I read, then gives Robbie "ear lickies" goodnight. They have a wonderful relationship but with boundaries.

If you have any specific questions please ask...I would be happy to help you any way I can. I know having a child with autism is the toughest job I have ever had...so I know PART of what you go through each day.

"Behind every unstable dog is a lesson for the owner"-Cesar Millan

Check out my Etsy store:http://www.etsy.com/shop/FunFauxPaws?page=1
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
shimpli
Teresita

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Hello. I have an autistic daughter. She is older than your son but still a 'little one' so my experience can help. I have two Havs. Both of them were chosen by the breeders with my daughter needs in mind, so that helped a lot.
She is not too happy when she sees other dogs but she LOVES our dogs. I didn't force her to pet them, everything was as she wanted. I always taught her how to be gentle with them, how to touch them and how to respect their space when they were resting or eating. I never let them together without me supervising.
Remember that when the puppy gets home he will be playing hard and biting a lot (just playing ) I tried not to let the puppies play like that with her so she didn't get afraid of them.
Try to let the puppy visits his bedroom with you a lot so they get used to his life, his voice, his laugh and his possible tantrums also. When my daughter gets angry, it is very natural to them thanks to that exposure.
It can be very difficult during training because of all the attention the puppy needs and your son too. The expen will be very helpful so when you can't watch the puppy he is in a safe place. In my case, I used a small crate a lot. My first Hav cried a lot when puppy if I was out of her sight. It made my daughter anxious so I was moving all around the house with the puppy in the crate by my side. When I was busy with my daughter, the puppy was relax with us.
At the beginning, let your son give treats to the puppy so the puppy knows good things come from his new friend. Involve your son in the training when you practice at home what you learn in puppy school. My daughter said she was a good trainer and was very proud of it. haha Let them play for short periods of time. Remember the puppy needs a lot of rest.
Your son will LOVE having a dog and Havanese dogs are sweet, playful and great companions so it will be wonderful for your son.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. I will be happy to help. Congratulations on the puppy and welcome to the forum!!! Ahh we will be waiting for pictures!!!

Teresita
Ache and Yunque's mom
shimpli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Odieo

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the input! this is all very helpful. I will check out for those youtube videos.

Laurief, I will send you a PM I'm interested in learning more.

Julie & Terista, Yes, we have a crate and an ex-pen ready for Odeio. My son did not like the idea of dogs, he was scared of them. But then before we made the decision we dog sat couple of our friends smaller dogs. We had a yorkie for a week and then another one for 2-3 days at home full-time. That made a big change, he did not want to play with them or let them lick him, but he would pet them if I held them and would call them by their names and even now asks if he can visit those dogs. I do have a full time nanny at home who is wonderful with dogs (she has 2 of her own) she is at home from 11:00-5:30 everyday and she is also an ABA therapist. My husband works from home and travels sometimes. So the dog will have some quiet time and training time before my son gets home from school. I do have to teach him to be gentle, he can be "hard lover" sometimes.

Oh! I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!!
Odieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Laurief

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
Dont worry - it sounds like you have thought of everything.
Sit back and enjoy the joy of a Havanese puppy and watch how it wiggles it's way into everyones heart!!!!
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote