Not giving puppy Deworming - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Not giving puppy Deworming
Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
roxie2519

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Not giving puppy Deworming

Hello Everybody,

As you all might know by now, my puppy's hair has been falling out after his 2nd round of shots. He has Diahreea and vomited in my car, on our way home from the Vet. ( that proves that he might have had an allergic reaction). SO this time when the Vet asked me if I wanted her to give him the deworming shot/syrup , I've told her not to. I've decided to have her give him the DHLP , becasue I saw a dog who had distemper in the waiting room So I thought that distemper is a very serious health condition .. so he needs the rest of the shots. She gave him a shot of benadryl before doing anything to him. My question is, do you think the deworming shot is important?
roxie2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I don't know of a deworming shot. I think you should have his stool sample checked. Then you should get him on Interceptor or heartguard, which will prevent worms.

Sorry to hear he had such a bad reaction!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
your vet should be advising you. That's what they're for. Give him all the facts and go from there. Here is some info http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/deworming-dogs-puppies note the last sentence of page one.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
That's too bad about the dog in the waiting room with distemper. It is highly infectious and can be fatal. If your schedule allows, try to bring your pup in the early morning vs afternoon/evening, it tends to be cleaner. Ditto on getting a fecal. Many pups have car sickness, so in the future if it is only vomit and not a double-ender, don't be alarmed.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Lola :)

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup! I would recommend getting the deworming vaccine. Lola had worms when she was much younger and was really sick from it (super concerning for me). I'd say it's better to try and prevent it than risk the chances of him getting it. I hope his bad reaction to the shots was only a one time thing, poor guy!! Like others suggested, maybe a fecal exam would be a good idea.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Have you tries other worming method instead of the shot? Like the tablets? Maybe they will go down better....
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
My dog have never had worms and have never had a pill or a shot. In oregon my vet says that heart worm isn't common so we don't do any worming medication at all. I did however bring in stool samples during out first three puppy visits.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
rdanielle
Renee

Submit Photo: 1
Diatomaceous Earth is a natural and safer approach to deworming. Just make sure it is food grade!
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

www.teodorohavanese.com
rdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola :) View Post
Sorry to hear about your pup! I would recommend getting the deworming vaccine. Lola had worms when she was much younger and was really sick from it (super concerning for me). I'd say it's better to try and prevent it than risk the chances of him getting it. I hope his bad reaction to the shots was only a one time thing, poor guy!! Like others suggested, maybe a fecal exam would be a good idea.
Thanks,
I will take him separately to get his vaccine...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
roxie2519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
Have you tries other worming method instead of the shot? Like the tablets? Maybe they will go down better....
She wanted to give him a syrup in his mouth ,then give us a pill to give him when we get home.. but that is for heart worm.. in case a mosquito bites him. We don't have any mosquitos here.... it is very cold