New Baby and 2 1/2 Year Old Havanese - Advice Needed - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
New Baby and 2 1/2 Year Old Havanese - Advice Needed
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
JWEX

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Baby and 2 1/2 Year Old Havanese - Advice Needed

Hi All,

I have a 2 1/2 year old havanese and recently had a new baby. I am having a lot of trouble with my dog. We did all the recommended prep for the baby - I walked around with a doll, played crying sfx, brought home an article of clothing - all before we brought the baby home.

Now that the baby is here, my dog is constantly jumping up on his pack and play (she ignored it before). When I am holding or feeding the baby, my dog is jumping up, humping me, scratching my legs, and just generally trying to get closer to the baby. She has also nipped at the baby's toes and growled at me. I am trying to block her but I had a c-section and it's difficult for me to keep getting up and down. My dog has also been having accidents in the house even though we walk her 4 times a day.

I need serious help and fast. If anyone has a trainer in the NJ area to recommend please send me the info. Or please email any advice of how we can handle this in the meantime. I love my dog so much and do not want this to get worse. Thank you!
JWEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEX View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2 1/2 year old havanese and recently had a new baby. I am having a lot of trouble with my dog. We did all the recommended prep for the baby - I walked around with a doll, played crying sfx, brought home an article of clothing - all before we brought the baby home.

Now that the baby is here, my dog is constantly jumping up on his pack and play (she ignored it before). When I am holding or feeding the baby, my dog is jumping up, humping me, scratching my legs, and just generally trying to get closer to the baby. She has also nipped at the baby's toes and growled at me. I am trying to block her but I had a c-section and it's difficult for me to keep getting up and down. My dog has also been having accidents in the house even though we walk her 4 times a day.

I need serious help and fast. If anyone has a trainer in the NJ area to recommend please send me the info. Or please email any advice of how we can handle this in the meantime. I love my dog so much and do not want this to get worse. Thank you!
good descision/. Exactly what I would recommend. Email me your zip code.,and I will look for you.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
davetgabby
Dave T

I emailed you privately with a great trainer. Here is a web site by one of our IAABC members with lots of great advice for babies and dogs relationships and is called Dogs and Storks and tied into Doggone Safe . another great site for older children and dogs relationships. http://familypaws.com/about/
Old 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Laurief

Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
You are the best DAve. I am sure it is all a jealousy issue, but needs to be dealt with quickly and a trainer is probably the best decision!
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
davetgabby
Dave T

hey Laurie , you[re from Jersey, ever heard of St Huberts, Pia Silvani there is super as well as any of the trainers there. Also in Jersey is Eric Gobelbecker one of our IAABC members at DogspelledForward . Just in case you know of someone who needs a great trainer. Actully it's a good state for dog trainers lol.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
JWEX

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. Dave I will reach out to your references. trying to stop this behavior quickly!!
JWEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
davetgabby
Dave T

good for you for dealing with this with the urgency it needs. Yeah if Pia is available great, if she isn`t her staff there is very well qualified. Keep us posted.