I put in for a rescue Irish Setter any comments? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Family and Friends > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop A good place for chit-chat

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
I put in for a rescue Irish Setter any comments?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I put in for a rescue Irish Setter any comments?

My 12 year old grandson has begged me for several years to get him a dog. He lives with me in the summer. Te oldest one had a dog and it went everywhere with him. I couldn't rear another puppy or one that needed a lot of grooming, but I found this Setter in a rescue in Memphis. He is 7 years old, healthy and all the training. He would be perfect to roam the 100 acres we have behind our home and I do have the fenced 1/4 acre and he is house-trained also. Do any of you have knowledge of the Irish Setter? I don't want to take on another grooming challenge or one that has too high an energy level. I would think that at 7 years old he would be fairly calm.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Sparkle

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had 2 Irish Setters in the past. If you have lots of room for them to roam, you'll be ok. The 100 acres will be good! And if the fence is pretty high, you'll be ok there too. Grooming - nothing like a Hav. But they do shed quite a bit. I had mine in the polyester pants era & I can remember from the knees down my pants were always red! I have 3 children that were young at that time, and both dogs were great with them. 1 of mine was strictly outside. The other one was indoors more than out. He was a big couch hog. A great breed, but they are hard to keep confined in my experience.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Luciledodd

Does anyone have any other breed that they would recommend? My son and the oldest three boys all are hunting -- well the 12 year old is really just learning to shoot. So it needs to be some kind of hunting dog (ecept hound) older and not much upkeep. The fence area is large enough for any dog and the 100 acres would have to be on a leash until we were sure of recall.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
luv3havs
Chico and Cali

Submit Photo: 8
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lucile,
I do animal assisted therapy with Finnegan at NIH and one team member has a gorgeous Irish Setter. He is about 8 years old and gentle as can be. He is great with the patients and everyone loves him. She had two until one died a few years ago and they both did therapy. Both were gentle and sweet.
She also has a large fenced area, altho not as big as yours.
I'd check on the temperament and if he is calm, go for it.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
yeah Lucile , how come his parents aren't getting him a dog.? You've had enough dogs to know that they stiill are a lot of work. So you're keeping the dog year round?
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Luciledodd

Dave his mother ran off with another man and even though he was a felon, she got custody of the 4 boys. Now she has 2 more boys. They won't let him have a dog. I gave him a kitten and the stepdaddy took it off.. So they stay the summers with me and yes I will have to take care of the dog all year. But every boy needs a dog. I just need one that won't be any trouble for me. I am beginning to think of a hound. They are really laid back unless they are hunting.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
My experience with Irish setters is that most of them are very sweet, but don't expect the sharpest tool in the shed. Also there seems to be some kind of problem with being overbred, even though there aren't a lot of them. Some seemed to be extremely timid, or maybe even a neurological condition, but definitely a blank look to the eyes and "no one's home" type of thing. You would have to visit with the dog and see how he is. I came across a red and white a few months ago. He was gorgeous, had an intelligent look to his eyes and was cool as cucumbers. Awesome dog. Very little shedding compared to a lab or golden.

I would stay away from the american lab, some are great dogs but the breed overall has been ruined. If you can get your hands on an English lab, those are awesome dogs. Goldens are nice but sounds like more grooming than you'd prefer. You can also look at pointers and flat coated retrievers. The pointer is low maintenance and a good hunting dog and the flat coated is a sweet companion but without being a shedding machine like the golden. Good luck. Make sure it's YOU that really wants the dog!
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
Dave his mother ran off with another man and even though he was a felon, she got custody of the 4 boys. Now she has 2 more boys. They won't let him have a dog. I gave him a kitten and the stepdaddy took it off.. So they stay the summers with me and yes I will have to take care of the dog all year. But every boy needs a dog. I just need one that won't be any trouble for me. I am beginning to think of a hound. They are really laid back unless they are hunting.
Lucile, I'll be honest, I don't think it's a good idea unless your hubby is offering to do most of the work. Hounds need excercise and they won't always get mental stimulation on their own. Simply having lots of room to run and roam is nice but there's a lot more to it. I never agree with parents getting a dog for a child that is not there for the dog, totally. And a few months of the summer is not going to get the dog the attention it needs. You know your limitations, just keep them in mind. It would be nice to rescue a dog ,but I don't think this is a great situation. Only you know your limitations. Just my opinion.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
I agree with Dave. That being said, I have a brother who grew up with the same dogs I did and my first was a springer spaniel then we had Maltese . My brother loved them all.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
I think Dave has a good point. What kind of hunting does he like to do. I grew up with an English springer Spaniel. Her name was Missy and she was like my baby sitter. She also was a bird dog and brought me robins. She lived to age 14 and was all black I think her hair was fairly easy?
PS I thought my first post didn't post LOL