At what age did you get him neutered? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
At what age did you get him neutered?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
roxie2519

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
At what age did you get him neutered?

My puppy is 5 months old and he humps on everything. I'm wondering if I should get him neutered. Any advice? Thanks
roxie2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
BearsMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bear was about 8 months when I took him to get chipped and neutered. I wanted to wait in case there were any problems w/ his baby teeth falling out (that way they could take care of everything at once). I didn't have the humping everything problem with him though so it was easy to wait.
BearsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Bidik
Cora

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Cora was 7 months old when he was neutered. He ran away from home twice in a row in search of a lady. I couldn't get him to vet soon enough. Neutering curbed the running away. It did not change his character a bit, did not make him mellow even a bit. He still runs around like crazy, demands attention all the time and occasionally hump on pillows and then all of a sudden falls asleep on them. I can watch him all day and never get bored

Bidik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Murphysmom2011

Murphy was 5 months old when he was neutered and microchipped. We had no problems at all. The pain medicine made him a little crazy so it was hard to keep him calm. We also had him in a onesie so did not have to deal with the cone of shame
Murphysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidik View Post
Cora was 7 months old when he was neutered. He ran away from home twice in a row in search of a lady. I couldn't get him to vet soon enough. Neutering curbed the running away. It did not change his character a bit, did not make him mellow even a bit. He still runs around like crazy, demands attention all the time and occasionally hump on pillows and then all of a sudden falls asleep on them. I can watch him all day and never get bored
Jeri, you experience with this is quite typical. It really doesn't alter their behavior. But will lead to less desire to roam.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I got Brody neutered at 7 months. I will tell you though, Brody didn't even start humping until well after he got neutered. He's going through a phase right now (he's 2) with big time humping. ha ha

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Augie was around 17 months when he was altered. He went through a humping phase when he was younger; if we were sitting on the couch with our legs up on the couch, he would try to hump our legs. We just discouraged his behavior. He wasn't a roamer - I guess we don't give our guys the opportunity to roam. They are always accompanied by us when they are outside. Finn is approaching two and he is still intact. I took him in at 14 months, and the vet clinic was extremely busy on his scheduled day, and they could not assure me that he would get to come home the same day, so I wouldn't leave him for the procedure. It was shortly after that, that we noticed he was having allergy issues with a lot of ear infections, etc. and our vet didn't want to put his body through more stress until we had that under better control.

I would suggest that you do your research so that you are aware of the pros and cons. There are differing opinions on this. From articles I read, I just knew that I wanted to wait until at least 14 months or so for the benefit that the hormones provide for bone growth, etc.

I will say that Finn has been a humper from the get-go - but I have only seen him hump Augie - and he also started marking in the house. He still does not have free reign of the house, although I haven't seen him to try to mark anything for several months now. If I can't watch him, he is gated in the kitchen or crated. He had been trained for quite some time on a UgoDog, but when the marking started, I decided it was time to get him trained to outside. I think he has gotten the idea that outside is where you do that.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Henry went in exactly at 6 mo.
He has a permanent humping blanket.
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Quincy never humped (still isn't - crossing fingers). We got him neutered at 9 months. They also removed two baby teeth canines that didn't come out on their own at the same time.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
Julie
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!

Submit Photo: 35
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 14 Posts
My boys (both breeds) were neutered around 6 months of age. Neither of my boys have humped,lifted their legs or marked. One is now 8 and one is 7. I think I maybe just got lucky?

Humping is behavior that is not as sexual as we humans make it. It is a sign of dominance. IMO.

"Behind every unstable dog is a lesson for the owner"-Cesar Millan
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote