HELP Potty Training and Running Away - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
HELP Potty Training and Running Away
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Pockets

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
HELP Potty Training and Running Away

HELP! Our beautiful baby (7 months old)

1- Our baby- rings a bell to go out 90% of the time but still 1x a day she either pees or poops in the house when Iím not looking. I dont want to leave her in a crate all day, but I canít take her messing up our beautiful home. We never used a pee pad b/c the vet said then we are training her that itís ok to go in the house. Any suggestions.

2- We donít have a fenced yard and some days its freezing or windy (and she goes out like 6-8 times a day)- So Iíll let her run outside and then sheíll ďrun awayĒ into a neighbors yard. We do try to put her on a leash but will i have to do this forever?

Any advise??

Last edited by Pockets; 02-23-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates Pockets Great Photo:
Pockets (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
She's at that tough adolescent age! It will get better. I wouldn't let her off leash yet. It is all a fun game (i run away, mommy chases me, yeah, this is so much fun)... As for the peeing; once a week isn't too bad at that age. It can take up to 2 years for this breed to be fully housebroken. If you can't keep a close eye on her then crate her, or keep her confined to one small room. Gradually give her more freedom as she earns it.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Pockets

She pees or poops 1x a day in the house!! uggg I should have confined her more from the get go probably. We have given her the “run of the house"
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
BearsMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also gave Bear too much freedom in the beginning and he took a while to fully housebreak. I was VERY consistent though with taking him out. Rain, snow, wind...you name it, we went out in it. I also use a leash with Bear when we go out. He is now 11 months and I still don't want to chance it. I think Pockets may be too young to go off leash while outside.

Good luck ...PS, she is adorable!!!
BearsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would never let a dog off lead in an unfenced yard. They can be gone in a flash. My friend lost her girl a year ago in a yard with a open gate- we never found her. Go back to the beginning with the potty training and start fresh. I have always thought a light bulb will go off in their darling head at some point and then they are trained.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Pockets

Thank you!!! She does use a crate to sleep in at night (in our room) and thankfully she has never gone to the bathroom in that. And when I’m out during the day she is in a crate. But possibly I need to give a fenced area in the house so that she doesn’t have full run of the house-
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Welcome. She is adorable. She should never have full run of the house until she is 100% housebroken. I would go back to the basics with her. I would also keep her on a leash when outside. She could chase a bunny and get hit by a car
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
whimsy
Evelyn

Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
Awww.....she is a little doll...I agree with what everyone is saying. Whimsy is piddle pad trained and she has never gone anywhere else except on that pad and she is almost 3 years old.
Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Tom King

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Your vet gave bad advice. Search the forums for expen setup topics. People who only expect them to go outside, especially to start with, are the ones who have the most accidents in the house.
Tom King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Tom King

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
You can use her time in the pen to teach her potty on command. Search for "potty on command" by my user name (actual name). Once you have success, she can come out to play for a while and then go back in the pen to rest. It won't take long with proper training. It is training though, they don't learn it on their own. The metal expens allow you to fold them into different sizes and configurations. We always start with 2x4, and then go up in size. I think you may even be able to find pictures in threads here.
Tom King is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
training