Lepto shots?Yes or No? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Lepto shots?Yes or No?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Julie
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!

Submit Photo: 35
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 14 Posts
Lepto shots?Yes or No?

My breeder does not recommend the Lepto vaccine,as well as many other breeders,however my vet insists it is a good idea.
Here in the state of Iowa 2 different strands have been identified and Iowa State University is recommending highly people get the dogs vaccinated against it.
For those of you who may not know,they explained it to me as urine from a wild animal.If your dog would have contact with the urine from an infected rabbit,squirrel,raccoon etc.and even get it on their paw,they could come down with this.The symptoms masquerade themselves with liver and kidney failure etc.and it is hard to diagnois,as they tend to think of getting into a chemical such as anti-freeze,or poison,and they need to rule out genetic defects etc.Lots of pets,in fact most they said die from it because it is so hard to find the cause......so my question is:

should a person have a lepto shot or not?
does anyone know the exact reason havs are not recommended to get it?
statitics etc.?

Any info would be appreciated........

"Behind every unstable dog is a lesson for the owner"-Cesar Millan
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Sissygirl
Sissygirl's Mom (Marie)

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Julie,

You might want to check out this thread - there was a lot of discussion on Lepto.

http://havaneseforum.com/showthread....ccine+reaction

My breeder advised me not to give the Lepto shot - she said that some havanese have been know to be allergic to Leptospirosis - which is sometimes given in conjunction with the rabies shot. My vet agreed
and Sissy does not get this vaccine. It is to protect against bacteria in standing water, muddy water, etc. which Sissy is not around.

There is a couple of websites that talk about the Lepto shot and the toy group having problems with this shot.

you have to scroll down the page to read about the Lepto

http://www.dublinvet.com/petinfo/vacs/lepto_1.htm

http://www.renaissancehavanese.com/h...accineinfo.htm

this is what they say:

We stand by our belief that the Leptospirosis (Lepto) vaccine should not be administered to any toy breed, Havanese included. It is best to keep your Havanese away from environments where they may be exposed to wild animals urine, particularly standing water and always keep an eye on your pet, never allow them to roam in wooded areas unattended.

But then Erin came back on thread #38 and gave some info that was positive.

Santa, Sissygirl
& Marie
Sissygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Julie
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!

I'm afraid TO get it--and afraid NOT to get it.
We have alot of squirrels and rabbits in our yard.

Thanks Marie--I'll check it out.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
The Fussy Puppy Gang
Pepper's mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 5 Posts
We were looking forward to taking Pepper with us on hikes through our local national forest. I'm guessing this might not be a good idea now?

We live in the desert outside of Los Angeles. Lepto is not a vaccine we do out here.

Wanda
The Fussy Puppy Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
I've been putting it off an my vet has only slightly nudged me about giving it. I have even more info now, so we'll see what happens. He knows I am not comfortable about giving it.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Julie
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!

It is hard to know what to do......I had the vet seperate every shot Quincy got...rabies,then distemper...this is the last one...and I'm torn.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
ama0722
Amanda

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 21 Posts
Isabelle started vomitting and shaking immediately after the vet tech made a mistake and gave her the lepto shot so Dora has never had it and Belle has never received another one. Is there a way to find out how many dogs contracted the strand in your area?

Amanda

Thinking of adding a Neezer, check out this thread!
ama0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I don't do that vaccine. I think the only ones I do are rabies, distemper and parvo up to a year and then blood tests(titers). No more vaccines unless they come up with no antibodies for a certain virus.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
marjrc
Mom to Ricky and Sammy

Submit Photo: 30
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 16 Posts
This was posted on the 'big' Hav Yahoo list yesterday... Oct. 3rd.

I dont' think I'm going to have them get the Lepto shot. Ricky for sure 'no' because he doesn't like anything, but it's Sammy I worry about. He goes around with his tongue sticking out, licking everything and anything he can! He especially loves going around garbage bins and puddles. EEEEEwwwwww! He's not due 'til April, so I'll see then, but we'll most likely skip it. It's too risky.

The following excerpt is from Dr. Ronald Schultz's "Considerations in
Designing Effective and Safe Vaccination Programs for Dogs" dated May of 2000.

* * * * * * * *Begin Excerpt* * * * * * * *

"Non-Core" Vaccines: Which are Needed and When?
Which "non-core" vaccines are really needed? This question is difficult to
answer and depends on the animal and its environment.

Leptospira bacterins - The most important "non-core" vaccine is for
leptospirosis since this infection can cause mild to severe illness and it is a
zoonosis. The question could be asked why Leptospira bacterins are not included as "core" vaccines? The principal reason concerns vaccine efficacy - a high percentage of vaccinated dogs do not develop protective immunity, or they develop immunity for only a short duration of time. Until recently, bacterins contained only two serovars (L. canicola and L. icterohaemorrhagiae) and cross protection between leptospiral serovars does not occur.

Furthermore, the Leptospira sp bacterins are among the more reactogenic components in multi-component vaccines. Clinically, immediate and/or chronic immune-mediated reactions have been observed and, experimentally, multiple types of immune mediated hypersensitivities have been induced with leptospiral antigens. Moreover, Leptospira bacterins do not prevent infection or shedding of the organisms in the urine, even when they reduce or eliminate the clinical signs of disease.

Thus, the public health threat from organisms being shed in the environment persists. Finally, Leptospira bacterins are not considered "core vaccines" because leptospirosis is rare in many geographic regions of the USA and few or no clinical cases have occurred for many years.

Very recently, new vaccines have been licensed in the
USA that contain L. grippotyphosa and L. pomona. The new vaccines should provide broader immunity and, hopefully, will prevent disease caused by those
serovars. However, the new vaccine containing the four serovars requires evaluation in a large number of dogs before it is known whether it will reduce the incidence of canine leptospirosis in endemic areas and if adverse reactions are worse than those caused by current products which contain only 2 serovars.

According to our recent survey on vaccination programs, approximately 30% of veterinary practices do not vaccinate for leptospirosis. The responding
practitioners either didn't believe that leptospirosis was a significant problem in their area or the vaccine containing L. canicola and L. icterohaemorrhagiae
serovars failed to provide protection.

Also, there were concerns about adverse reactions when the current products were used. Approximately 50% of the veterinarians completing the survey must have felt leptospirosis was a significant problem since they vaccinated >75% of the dogs with the products containing L. canicola+icterohemorrhagiae. According to our survey Leptospira bacterins were used in more dogs than any of the other "non-core" vaccines except CPI.

* * * * * * * *End Excerpt* * * * * * * *

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

“Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew.” -Guillaume Apollinaire"
marjrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Cosmosmom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
They do not reccomend the leptospirosis vaccine here in northern California . They say the strains that are now prevalent are not responsive to the vaccine . Apparently there are two different strain - the east coast strain and the west coast .
I was told that by the vet we go to in La Quinta in Southern Ca that leptospirosis was almost totally irradicated 5 years ago but it is now coming back and it is hard to treat .. .
You are right it can lethal to small breeds especially Havanese are very susceptible to the disease . it is very difficult to treat and it needs to be caught very early .. You are right - usually it is missed and it is misdiagnosed and it is then too late ..
Cosmos breeder did not recommend giving the shot .
Cosmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote