Puppy Area * Do not advertise dogs for sale here*

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Obsessing about size....
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Wesleysmom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obsessing about size....

I know Wes is healthy and fine, but I am amazed at how big he is getting. When do they stop growing? I keep having people stop me telling me they can't believe how big he is, they have never seen a Hav get this big. I know others on here have said their's are as much as 14 lbs and Wesley is about 11lbs. he just seems long. He is about 16 inches(from collar to tail, as much as he would let me measure!) and about 8 inches high(feet to shoulder). Does that seem average to everyone? He does need a haircut so I realize that doesn't help either! I just get so many comments when i take him somewhere, I was just wondering.
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
ivyagogo
Gryff and Jinx Mommy

Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I haven't weighed or measured Gryff lately, but he seems really long too. I like a bigger dog anyway, so I am glad. His Mommy was HUGE!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Lynn
Casper and Missy

Submit Photo: 37
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Obsessing about size

I have to admit I am doing a little obsessing about size also....I just can't get over the size of Missy at 5 1/2 months she is 8.5 lbs. She is a very solid girl. I can't figure out if I am feeding her too much or what....she loves eating.
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Lilly's mom
Katrina

Submit Photo: 15
Lilly is 13 months old she is 18 inches long 10 inches tall and weighs 15.5 lbs Hows that?

and Princess Furface ---Lilly
www.youravon.com/kpresnell
Lilly's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
ama0722
Amanda

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 21 Posts
I get this too but I think a lot of people are comparing them to other dogs in the toy group such as Chi's, malts, yorkis, etc. And Dora looks huge next to Belle but because she is- about 2.5 times Belle's size. Hence my shoulder hurts when carrying her!

Amanda

Thinking of adding a Neezer, check out this thread!
ama0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Both my boys are around 14 lbs. Freddie is 2 inches taller than Scudder, but Scudder is a linebacker. Freddie grew forever. He grew up until he was 2 years old. He started itty bitty, but grew slow and steady. He is not long, but 11.5-12 inches tall. Scudder looks longer, because he is shorter. He is 9.5 inches. Scudder stopped growing around 8-10 months, but has filled out. I don't think they look big. I love them the way they are. Your guys doesn't seem too big, but I am not sure how old he is.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
HayCarambaMama
Smitten with Havanese!

Submit Photo: 0
Sheesh, no one here has a clue WHAT a Havanese IS, much less how big they are/should be! LOL!!!
So your dogs won't be petite, they ARE beautiful, healthy, and 100% normal!
B-u-t, I obsess about weight too -- Duncan is only 10 weeks and already 5lbs. That's what Bonnie weighed at 4 months. Ah, whatever, it's just a number -- they are all still very small!!! LOL!
Hav baby Duncan Mac, 5 mo
and 4 Human babies, 10, 8, 6, 4 yrs

HayCarambaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
pjewel
Super Moderator

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 25 Posts
I could care less what size Milo is, as long as I can still carry him when needed. Right now he's almost 11 months old, is between 12 and 13 inches long, about 10 1/2 inches tall and weighs somewhere around 12 lbs. Just perfect in my book.

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
good buddy

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe they are just commenting because he is growing so fast! Well don't they all? Rufus semed to grow really really fast in our eyes too. Every month we would say oh he is just the perfect size and THEN HE WOUDL GET BIGGER LOL! and then of course we'd say well NOW he is the perfect size. Rufus is 9 months old and 13 1/2 pounds. Of course we think he's now the perfect size!

I had taken him out on "That Dam Dog Walk" here locally (at the dam) on New Years day and got to see him compared to other small and large dogs. Someone there had a Shih Tzu and told me that their dog weighed 23 pounds. Then they asked about Rufus. My boy weighs nearly half as much as their Tzu, but he looked longer, taller and fuller. The fuller was just all his fluffy coat. I know that soaking wet their dog would've beeen fuller LOL!
good buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
Havtahava
Kimberly

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 11 Posts
Piaget, who is Rufus' littermate and 9 months old, just went to the vet today for his latest health exam and weighed in at 16 pounds. I'll will have an official AKC wicket tomorrow so I can also measure his height, but he's a great size for a male Havanese as far as I'm concerned. I never wanted a frail or "bitchy" looking male and this guy is definitely sturdy and strong, which is what he should be.
Havtahava is offline   Reply With Quote