Breeders in MA or New England - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > Ask A Breeder

Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Breeders in MA or New England
Old 03-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Bell

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breeders in MA or New England

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. We are very interested in adopting a Havanese. Do you have any information about breeders in the New England area?
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Havtahava
Kimberly

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 11 Posts
I don't know any offhand, but if you want to meet some in person, one of the best ways is to attend local dog shows. To find local shows, go to Infodog.com, then click on Show Information (top left), and on the next page, click on the top right button marked Search By State. On that next page you can click through the states closest to you and see if there are any shows with the type "AB" next to them. If you find any that interest you, several of us can help you find more specific information after that (including show times and the number of Havanese that are entered, etc.).
Havtahava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates Havtahava Great Photo:
zoey09 (01-25-2010)
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
Check out the breeder referral through Havanese Club of America. There are some listed there. Also, Alice Lawrence is in CT, but she doesn't have a website. Cindy Lisai of Peekaboo Havanese is in Vermont. One of her dogs sired my Kodi. There are a few forum members from New England. If you PM them, they might be able to help you. Good luck in your search.

PS - I am not recommending these breeders, just giving their names.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
lfung5
LINDA

Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I like Mary Cane of Moorea havanese. She is very good and does all the health tests and showing. Her HAV'S are beautiful. If you go to the Havanese gallery you can see some of them. She is also a member of the Delaware Havanese Club.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
irnfit

Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
Mary's pups are gorgeous. At our last club meeting, we had a B match. Mary had a couple of babies there and they wer beautiful.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
My dogs are not from this breeder. But I have been very impressed with renaissance havanese in Connecticut.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Leeann
Riley & Monte's mom

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 12 Posts
Welcome Bell, I'm not sure where you are located but there is a show in W. Springfield, MA April 4,5 & 6. Some of the above mentioned breeders have been at this show in the past along with others.

Leeann is offline   Reply With Quote
New Hampshire Breeder
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
mybella
Marie and Bella

New Hampshire Breeder

HI,

I am new to the forum - just joined so my first post. June Hartzog is a Havanese breeder located in Amherst, NH. I got my Bella from here. June is very dedicated and professionally shows her dogs. She is also part of the HCA. You may want to check her out. http://jubolee.com/main.htm

You may do better with emailing her questions at: jubolee@aol.com.

Good luck. I love my Bella. She turns a 1 year old on June 9th and she is wonderful. Very social - not timid at all.

Marie
mybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Finding a breeder
Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
jlundeen

Finding a breeder

Just a reminder to check out any breeder very carefully...

When I searched for one name that was recommended here, and visited the website, I noted that the claims that they do health testing on their dogs just aren't true...checked the dogs' names against the OFA database and found that there is only one dog with a patella and CERF check only - no hips, no elbows, no cardiac...none of the others are listed. Also, the dogs they are apparently using for breeding are not shown - yes, it's true that not all dogs who are champions should be bred, and some who are not champions are the quality that can pass on healthy genes, structure and temperament to the next generation...but if the owners don't show ANY of their dogs, what are they basing their claims on?

Remember that the purpose of the Dog Show is to assess breeding stock...getting many opionions on whether a dog meets the AKC Standard for the breed, and is the quality that should be bred.

If you have any questions about how to select a breeder, please be sure to check out the HCA website for lots of good info - http://www.havanese.org/Education/hcabuyersEd.htm

Just my two cents....
jlundeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Health Testing
Old 05-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
mybella
Marie and Bella

Health Testing

I agree to make sure the breeder does testing. I know with my baby, Bella, both her parents were tested for eyes, patella, hearing, hips, legg-calve-perthes and elbow (the dad). I received the CHIC #'s and the details.

Marie in Massachusetts

Last edited by mybella; 05-21-2008 at 07:44 PM.
mybella is offline   Reply With Quote