Question about the Havanese tail??? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Show and Competition Area > Conformation

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Question about the Havanese tail???
Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Lynn
Casper and Missy

Submit Photo: 37
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Question about the Havanese tail???

I have a question for some of you that attend and/or show dogs in conformation.

Do you see very many Havanese dogs with tails that don’t curl over their back? I ask because I am having trouble keeping Missy’s tail curled over her back at dog shows. She doesn’t curl her tail over her back at home very much either. She can curl it over her back and it looks beautiful….she just doesn’t do it.

I am wondering if I should continue to show her or wait until her tail matures and hopefully curls over her back more of the time.

How important is a tail that curls over the back in judging these dogs? I love their curled tail, so it is a little frustrating for me to not be able to get her tail to curl over her back more.

Here are some pictures of Missy’s tail; one she is a puppy at the breeders, the other is a puppy with a curled tail when I brought her home, and the last one is at a show.

Last edited by Lynn; 08-11-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
Lynn, I know nothing about showing--- But I think Missy is gorgeous!! As you know Cash also has what I have heard some call a "lazy tail." When it is up it is a gorgeous plume. But in his relaxed state it hangs down, where as Jasper's is only down if he is scared. It is up more of the time now that he is older. I am curious to hear what others say.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
ama0722
Amanda

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 21 Posts
Missy does she do it when she is stressed out? Dasher's tail is fine as long as he isn't concentrating but it is really funny, if he is trying to get a toy out or the treat out of the kong, his tail will slowly unfold. Dora also puts her tail down when she is scared or overwhelmed- more of a fear in her body language.

Thinking of adding a Neezer, check out this thread!
ama0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
pjewel
Super Moderator

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 25 Posts
Both my boys' tails curl up almost all of the time. The only time I see Milo's tail down is when he's upset, and that's not often. I'd be curious to hear what others say as well.

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Havtahava
Kimberly

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 11 Posts
Her tail looks fine, Lynn. I see that she definitely has the capability of holding it correctly. The ideal tail should have more of a teacup handle shape, but some of them do stand up a bit more when moving. As her hair grows, the weight of the hair will hold the tail down some, but her tail may stand up a bit in movement all her life. It is just the way she is. Frankly, I like her tail better than Piaget's who has a tighter curl and you can't see any sunlight through his curl. Neither are ideal, but neither will get them excluded from the ring. If that is the worst thing about her, you're in great shape!
Havtahava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Lynn
Casper and Missy

Thanks Missy! I do think my Missy is gorgeous too

Amanda,
Missy's tail curls up when she is barking at another dog or when she steals Casper's toy or she is playing with Casper....but alot of the time it is down or straight up curled slightly at the end.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
Missy is so pretty. I don't know much about their tails, except for what the standard says. I don't know about why some curl, others don't. Maybe if you watch some videos of dog shows you will be able to figure it out.

Kodi has a beautiful plume-type tail (except Shelby has destroyed it). It curls just right and is always up, except when he's trying to hide it from Shelby. Shelby has a very tightly curled tail that sits on her back. It is very funny to watch her try to chase her tail.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Flag tail
Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
RikiDaisyDixie
Riki-Daisy-Dixie

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 11 Times in 11 Posts
Flag tail

Riki has something the judge called a flag tail. It is tea-cup shaped but with a very large handle. LOL When he is feeling frisky though, it is tight and looks amazing. If we decided to show him, I think his testosterone would have kept that in check. The funny thing is that he "wags" his tail like other dogs which is so funny. Daisy's just wiggles in her curled up tail.

Many puppies have tails that aren't tight and they do get tighter with time. Riki's didn't. He is rather unusual though.
RikiDaisyDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Tom King

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
That's the kind of tail that the Cubans like. It will come over as the hair grows but the tip of the bone structure will not touch the back which is just fine. When the Cubans talk about their dogs tails "flying in the breeze", that's what they are talking about. They think the tails tightly curled on the back are not proper (polite version).
Tom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
Lynn
Casper and Missy

Thank-you Tom and Kimberly for your expertise. I was just beginning to wonder after being in a few shows now and all the other dogs have curled tails.

It really is an eye-opener...most of the Havanese dogs, so far in the shows I have been in (Washington State) have professional handlers, so it is a little intimidating at the shows.

They just look alot better than Missy and me....but we are going to keep trying and get better and better at this.

Missy does like to "walk pretty".... so I think some day we will get it all figured.