Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Shampoo brand?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
havaone
... is now Havatwo

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shampoo brand?

There are a lot of threads where people mention what brand(s) of shampoo they use. Would everyone please let me know (in one place - ) what shampoo, conditioner, etc you use and what type of coat your pup has? My parents had a cookout yesterday, and someone asked me if I ever bothered to brush Havanna . What made that even worse was that she'd had a bath just the night before... She has long, silky, straight hair, but it never really looks that shiny. I also use a detangler spray which helps with the mats, but does nothing for the shine. Olivia is still young, but her hair is fuller and fluffier. Is there a shampoo, conditioner, etc. that works on all coat types?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Lilly's mom
Katrina

Submit Photo: 15
I would have assumed they were teasing you about the fact she looked "too pretty" if that is possible. I use Bio groom on Lilly and she has the cottony type coat thick and mats easily. I use a Maden brush and it works GREAT.

and Princess Furface ---Lilly
www.youravon.com/kpresnell
Lilly's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Havtahava
Kimberly

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 11 Posts
I have Havanese with a variety of coat textures and I really like the Pure Paws Reconstructive Shampoo on any of them. In addition, I use the Coat Handler's Conditioner. This is a leave-in product. Those two items work very well for any of my dogs. In fact, it doesn't really seem to matter too much on the shampoo you use if you finish it with the Coat Handler Conditioner.

For a little extra shine, I will use EQyss Premiere Conditioning Spray on my black dogs. It doesn't really do anything helpful on my white or parti-colored dogs though.
Havtahava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Jane
Lincoln and Scout's Mom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I love these:

Shampoo: Nature's Specialties Plum Silky Shampoo

Conditioners: Coat Handler's Conditioner, Nature's Specialties Remoisturizer with Aloe.

These products work great on both my dogs who have different coat types (Lincoln has a cottony coat, Scout has a flatter, silkier coat but with very thin hair prone to breakage).
Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
EMarie
Groomer

Submit Photo: 0
I use Isle of Dogs Shampoo and Conditioner.
Shampoo - Royal Jelly
Conditioner - Heavy or Light Conditioner doesn't matter they both work well.
EMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
ama0722
Amanda

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 21 Posts
I think you are going to get a lot of answers on this one! I have two and they really vary a lot and unfortunately it is going to be a lot of experimentation to get it right.

Dash has a very naturally silky easy going coat and if I put condition on him even rinsed out, I have been told told he is too oily. In fact, someone told me recently to not use any condition on him when I show him. I really like using the CC products on him and can't do leave in condition as it makes him look like I forgot to remove the products. He looks best when I rinse him for a long time and only shampoo his head. He hasn't had issues with breakage yet so I don't know about that but so far I love his coat.

Dora on the otherhand would be a nightmare without condition. Other than Dash eating her head hair. She has a very strong natural coat that doesnt breakoff. She doesnt matt that easily but her hair is more cottony especially in the areas where she is mainly white. Her darker hairs throughout her body are silkier. I LOVE the coat handler with the floating the coat on her. She is good enough to sit in it as well. Learning that technique has been a life saver (thanks kimberly!) We recently went thru a moving process and I honestly didnt brush her for about two weeks. I was shocked at how well her coat did cause I was prepared to put her up on the table and give her a puppy cut. But her coat held up great.

I also want to say a lot is unfortunately genetics. I am not sure how much the shampoo and conditioner truly can do. My other dog is a maltese and eats teh same food, etc but her hair breaks off. Now that we have a bigger yard and she spends a lot more time outside and runs a lot more her coat is already taking a beating after a few weeks. She may just end up back in a little hair cut!

Thinking of adding a Neezer, check out this thread!
ama0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
I keep coming back to Pantene Blond Expressions for Jasper. And Pantene Smooth for Cash, both shampoo and conditioner. Although I just ordered the Isle of Dog sample set to try. We will see.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Redorr
Lola's Mom

Submit Photo: 36
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Coat Handler conditioner and detangler for the mats. Lola's blowing coat now so I can't give much help on coat condition. I keep her hair short anyway. I just ordered the CC clarifying shampoo, after bath, etc. Unfortunately, the shampoo smells like coconut, one of the few smells I just can't stand. So if anybody would like a brand new bottle of Chris Christensen Clarifying Shampoo, let me know and I'll even pay the cost of shipping! I hate things to go to waste.

"Happiness is a warm puppy" Charles Schultz

Redorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
oh I hate the smell of coconut too...in fact I am allergic to it.

This stuff I got at my vets is terrific it makes them so soft and smooth, and they are far less itchy when I use it-- but it does smell like coconut.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Hylyt+Ess...313-10313.html
Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
Missy, I'm allergic to coconut, too! I thought I was an oddball on that one. I use Isle of Dog and have recently been using the #1 All Systems products, which I also like for my dogs. I can use anything for Shelby's coat and it looks good, but have to be a little more fussy with Kodi.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote