Breeder in New York area - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Breeder in New York area
Old 12-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
first time

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breeder in New York area

Hi! I'm new to this forum and am hoping to be a first time dog owner!
I, actually the whole family, fell in love with this breed and we really want one as a family pet.

I have been looking on line and have seen some large and small breeders, some that do health checks some that don't and price ranges between $500 and $2000. We have no interest in showing the dog and wonder if champion parents are necessary or if average Havanese parents would be fine or is there more risk for health issues because these breeders are not necessarily health testing? Would love to hear your opinions.

Also, can anyone recommend a breeder in NY, NJ, PA, CT or even further north in the New England Area?

Any information or experience you can share would be so helpful!!!

Thanks,
Karen
first time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
ivyagogo
Gryff and Jinx Mommy

Submit Photo: 7
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Karen,

My breeder is in Cairo, NY about 2.5 hours north of NYC. I can give you her contact info if you are interested.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
carohav
Carohav Havanese

Be leary of the breeders that don't do health testing. You want a healthy puppy from healthy testing. Only way to know is doing the health testing. Many don't, as it would cut into their profits. That's not the kind of breeder you want. Also, what kind of health guarantee do they offer?

The fact that the parents are champion helps you know that they fit the breed standard. So you stand a better chance of having a puppy that has the look of a havanese, and will con't to as an adult. I'm not saying if they're not champion they can't meet the standard, but it is an assurance for you as a new owner.

What environment are the puppies rasied in? I raise mine in our living room and they are socialized and spoiled so they grow up to be wonderful pets. There are far too many puppy mills out there. Go to their house, meet their dogs, see where they live.

I hope this helps. I hope you find the perfect puppy for you.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Lina
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 32 Times in 23 Posts
Hi Karen, and welcome to the forum! Here's a recent thread with some good breeder recommendations:

http://havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=5879

If you read it through to the end, you can also get an idea of some red flags that pop up (health tests done but not since 2005, for example). I would never ever get a puppy from a breeder that doesn't health test all of her dogs. By health test I mean looking at CERF, BAER, hip and patella testing and submitting those results to offa.org. We've heard lots of heartbreaking stories on here from people who bought puppies from less than reputable breeders and wound up with a sick dog and spending a lot more money than expected later to fix and/or treat these issues. Just something to think about in case you're trying to save some money now and go for a cheaper puppy who may be coming from a less than reputable breeder.

Visit my blog
-----
Check out my photos
-----
Photography (pets, people, weddings) - TripleC Photography
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
first time

Thank you all for your help regarding breeders. I have talked to one so far and also talked to one other person who is obviously not an experienced breeder so I am staying away from that.
I would love the name of the breeder in Cairo, NY.

Thanks again,
Karen
first time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo View Post
Karen,

My breeder is in Cairo, NY about 2.5 hours north of NYC. I can give you her contact info if you are interested.
Hi my name is pearl, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a breeder that is close to NYC, I live in the Manhattan area, would you pass this information on to me please.
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
dranilshahdds

I would love his information and other breeders information in the TriState area as well! thank you!
dranilshahdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Delaware Valley Havanese Club is the local club. They have a breedered referral page with all breeders in the Tri State area.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Blue_Persuasion

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
My breeder is in Binghampton, NY, and I would highly recommend them. Let me know if you would like their contact info. They do all the testing and are even licensed in NY, something that is not required but is a little extra thing that they do.

Blue_Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Persuasion View Post
My breeder is in Binghampton, NY, and I would highly recommend them. Let me know if you would like their contact info. They do all the testing and are even licensed in NY, something that is not required but is a little extra thing that they do.
If I'm thinking of the same breeder as you mentioned, she is a very well known show handler as well and I had a lengthy phone conversation with her a few months ago. She is very down to earth and I would totally trust her, she's actually one of the breeders I recommend to my grooming clients when they ask about where to buy a Havanese.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote