Havanese vs Havana Silk Dog? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Havanese vs Havana Silk Dog?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Joellyn
Bodhi and Leela's Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Havanese vs Havana Silk Dog?

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I have two Havanese puppies. Bodhi, my first, is a 13.5 month old male. Leela, my second, is Bodhi's full sister from the litter after his. She is 19 weeks old. The are the light of my life and this forum is a treasure chest full of information and education for me. So thank you all for that.

As I've been looking through various posts...then following various links...and on and on...(I could get lost in Havaneseland via cyberspace and never come back!)...I found a link to the Havana Silk Dogs Association of America. That too is an education. So my question to you is....what do yo understand the difference to be between the Havanese and the Havana Silk Dog? Is it the high integrity regarding breeding standards...or is it something even beyond that? Would I be silly joining the group with two beatiful dogs that might not reach their high standards or does it matter for the associate membership level?

Your thoughts would be appreciated and thanks again for all the info!

Joellyn

Mom to Bodhi and Leela
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Look who has the big side!.jpg (85.3 KB, 770 views)
Joellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
PepperToast

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Joellyn and cutie havanese doggies,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you have discovered a havanese place that you will get lost in, say goodbye to house work right now

I do not know much and have done very little research so I feel like I can give a totally unbiased and not very educated response and people who disagree can feel totally justified in their disagreement.

I believe you have asked a very sensitive question. I believe that most knowledgeable people on this forum have havanese and are too polite to voice what they really might be thinking deep down.

I think the havana silk dog came from a group of people who saw the direction that the very new havanese breed was going and didn't like it at all. I think they took ownership, to some degree, of the responsibility to the breed and decided that they would band together to make sure havanese went in the 'right' direction. They called it the havana silk dog (a description of the breed), started breeding under very controlled health and lineage guidelines with strict control over type of dog that was being bred (longer legs, not as long back, coat etc).

I think whether or not you want to join is totally up to you. Perhaps your dogs meets their requirements and you agree with their breeding direction. I know that the owners of havanese on this site are caring people. Most breeders here are very very attentive to breeding healthy havanese.

Most importantly, welcome!!!! Now how about more photos of your havanese/ havana silk dogs and a little bit more about them.

Meeka
PepperToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
hartman studio

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 5 Posts
Oh my- here we go again.....

Truffles (1992-2009) We miss you!!
hartman studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
JASHavanese

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperToast View Post

I believe you have asked a very sensitive question. I believe that most knowledgeable people on this forum have havanese and are too polite to voice what they really might be thinking deep down.

I think the havana silk dog came from a group of people who saw the direction that the very new havanese breed was going and didn't like it at all.
Meeka
I guess I'm not very polite because I'll respond especially to your comment and here it is
And this is what I think of this hsd stuff who were havanese then weren't havanese, then became havanese again all in a few months! I wonder if the dogs have an identity crisis? Here's what I think of it http://www.jashavanese.net/buyerbeware.html
Old 04-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
JASHavanese

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartman studio View Post
Oh my- here we go again.....
Makes you wonder if it's a setup, doesn't it? One whole post and they hit on the one thing that stirs up a whole lot of BAD feelings.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Pixiesmom

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Joellyn!
Your doggies are beautiful.
There is a very long thread from the past on this subject. Reserve some time to read it all-it's a big one!
Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
dboudreau
Samson & Delilah's Mom

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 15 Posts
If you have a few days to spare, grab a pot of coffee, or better yet a bottle of wine, this is "The Thread" that erupted during the "split".

http://havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=1010

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess.
dboudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Havtahava
Kimberly

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 11 Posts
Joellyn, since this is a HAVANESE forum, I think your questions might be akin to going into a Protestant church and asking about the teachings of Buddha. It is probably not the right place to start if you really want information. Now, if you want to bring up a lot of bad feelings (that was a nice way of putting it, Jan), then you're in the right place.
Havtahava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
PepperToast

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Jan,

I LOVE it when people stand up for their beliefs or at least tell it like they see it. So... good on ya!

Debbie,

Thanks for that link. I think I know what I am doing tonight after the kids are in bed

Kimberly,

Such wise words.

Meeka
PepperToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Beamer

Photo Submissions 16 Times in 6 Posts
Joellyn,

If you want to know if your dogs fit into the HSD group, just go to the havanese gallery and check the pedigree's. Since you only just got the youngest one, I'm sure you know what breeder you got Leela from? (and you do live in the HSD homestead...)

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!

Ryan