New Havanese owner needs reassurance - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
New Havanese owner needs reassurance
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
kaydm

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 2 Times in 1 Post
New Havanese owner needs reassurance

Hi, I have been reading this site for awhile waiting to find my Havanese. Well, I got her today.

She is 2 1/2 years old and came from a breeder who said she made it quite clear she did not want to be a mom. Apparently she teased the males and then at the critical moment, would roll onto her back and wave her feet in the air, thus making it all impossible for the male dog.

Anyway, she is here next to me. My problem is she will stay exactly where I put her. She won't walk around outside or inside. She won't eat or drink. She did pee once about 3 hours ago when I brought her home.

Supposedly she is not housebroken and she was supposed to be socialized by owner's children. I was told she is shy and takes awhile to warm up to strangers. Quite un - Hav - like, right? She does not seem to know her name.

She is adorable, white with black ears and some black spots on her back.

I think she was traumatized by the 2 1/2 hour car ride here. She vomited in the car in her crate on the way.

Do I just keep talking to her and keep watching her to see if she needs to go outside? Please talk to me.
kaydm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Nominate kaydm Great Photo:
kaydm (08-25-2009), leena365 (09-16-2009)
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Kathie

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I learned a lot of things the hard way. One is not to give her run of the house. Another is to let her come to you first. When they are shy that is the best way to go. We got our Abby when she was eight months old and she was traumatized by the plane trip. It will take a lot of patience but she should eventually come around. I would start from scratch with the potty training by taking her out on a leash every two - three hours. I'm certainly not an expert so I hope some others will jump in here. As I said it will take time but it will be well worth it in the end. Good luck with your little girl!
JacksonsMom (11-23-2012)
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
virtualet

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think that the way that you're describing your dog is very normal. the first day or 2 are usually pretty tough on the dog. let your dog come to you, don't baby her, and eventually she'll get more outgoing. this is all a shock to her right now, so just give her some space and she'll warm up to you.

she won't respond to things like her name right away because she is scared, but that'll come in time. probably a week or so. don't fret. this is all normal =) it just seems like first day jitters.
virtualet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
Welcome to the forum. See what happens tomorrow. It has been a big day for her. Many Havs are sensitive and take a while with new situations. Encourage her with love and treats. Try to let her come to you on her own terms. And just try to keep things upbeat.

Are you going to crate her? If so place her crate tonight by your bed so she can see and hear you.

Keep us posted. I am sure she will come out of her shell in no time. And, I think I can speak for everyone here...Pictures Please. What is her name?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Milo's Mom
Joyce

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a deep breath and relax. Every day will get easier. I agree with the advice everyone has given you. Let her come to you on her own terms. Give her lots of love. Treat her like a puppy when it comes to housebreaking. Bring her outside as often as you can. Do you have an ex-pen or crate for her? I definitely wouldn't give her free access to the whole house. The more relaxed you are the more relaxed she'll be.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Jill in Mich

Photo Submissions 15 Times in 11 Posts
WELCOME and CONGRATULATIONS!!! It'll be okay. Give her some time. Since she's not a pup it may take more than a day or two to not be quite so shell-shocked but be patient and don't give up. She'll come around. When I first got Tess I couldn't get near her, so I left a leash on her around the clock (except when you're crating her, if that's what you're doing - you don't want the leash/collar to get caught on the crate) so I could catch her with minimal stress on either of us when it was time to go out. Along with trying to catch her when you think she needs to go out, set yourself on a set schedule for a while - go outside every 1/2 hour, then 45 min, etc. Try to have a few very low key days with minimal noise/excitement (if that's possible in your house). Make your movements as slow as possible and let her take things at her own speed. Try to be aware of you're own emotions - breath deeply when you need to and try to relax. It will be okay. This will work out just fine. It may not be the homecoming you had imagined but many of us have been in your shoes, wondering what in the world we've gotten ourselves in to - you'll both get to the other side! GOOD LUCK! Feel free to ask any questions and come back for reassurance whenever you need it.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
kaydm

Photo Nominations 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks so much for all your replies. Her name is Maggie. When I can figure out how to do pictures here, I will. I will put her by my bed tonite. I hope she will be hungry tomorrow. She sniffed at treats tonite, but did not eat one.

I knew I wanted a Havanese after meeting the one next door. I was smitten. I have looked for over 5 months for an adult female as that is what is next door. I know when my neighbor and her little girl return in a couple weeks from their summer lake home in Minnesota, that I will get some good advice. But tonite I may be as overwhelmed as Maggie.

Right now she just dropped off to sleep at me feet. Progress, yes?
kaydm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Jill in Mich

Photo Submissions 15 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydm View Post
Thanks so much for all your replies. Her name is Maggie. When I can figure out how to do pictures here, I will. I will put her by my bed tonite. I hope she will be hungry tomorrow. She sniffed at treats tonite, but did not eat one.

I knew I wanted a Havanese after meeting the one next door. I was smitten. I have looked for over 5 months for an adult female as that is what is next door. I know when my neighbor and her little girl return in a couple weeks from their summer lake home in Minnesota, that I will get some good advice. But tonite I may be as overwhelmed as Maggie.

Yep, progress. Imagine all of this from her perspective. I wouldn't be up to eating or exploring and definitely not interacting with a stranger. Hope your night goes okay. Tomorrow's a whole new day! GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Lynn
Casper and Missy

Submit Photo: 37
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydm View Post

I bet she would eat a little boiled chicken. She is just scared and shocked, she will soon be your love and best friend, just give it time.
Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
marb42

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You have received great advice. Don't worry - everything will get better. It's her first day, and she's scared and overwhelmed (and like you said traumatized by the car ride). Just giver her time, and it will all get better. We'll all be here to help so let us know how she's doing.
Gina