Is this normal havanese behavior? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Is this normal havanese behavior?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
ciera123

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this normal havanese behavior?

Pixie is almost 13 months old and she has a habit of sometimes nipping at the backs of our legs or pants when we're out walking. (We're working on walking for a while, then we let her sniff around for a couple of minutes, then back to walking, the Caesar way) I think it might be when she is getting tired, but I'm not sure. We walk her every morning and evening for 45 - 60 minutes. When we get home from the walk she wants to play chase the toy in tha backyard, so she can't be THAT tired. Also, in the evening she gets the "zoomies" and will do the same kind of nipping at our pants or shoes and barking then while she's all pumped up. Is this just a normal way to let off steam or should we be worried?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
CapotesMom
(and Taylor Too! )

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Probably just her way of trying to get your attention. If you don't like it, whenever she does it just let out a high pitched squeal like a dog would do if they were bitten. They learn quickly that you don't like it. Growling works for unwanted behavior too.. Capote still knows what a growl means and he's known it since he was a puppy...lol.

Think like a dog!!
Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
lovingmypup

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciera123 View Post
Pixie is almost 13 months old and she has a habit of sometimes nipping at the backs of our legs or pants when we're out walking. (We're working on walking for a while, then we let her sniff around for a couple of minutes, then back to walking, the Caesar way) I think it might be when she is getting tired, but I'm not sure. We walk her every morning and evening for 45 - 60 minutes. When we get home from the walk she wants to play chase the toy in tha backyard, so she can't be THAT tired. Also, in the evening she gets the "zoomies" and will do the same kind of nipping at our pants or shoes and barking then while she's all pumped up. Is this just a normal way to let off steam or should we be worried?
JJ does that all the time as well, as a matter of fact he does it every single day. I tried the growling and sometimes I will stop walking until he stops but he still has not kicked the habbit.
lovingmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
Dexter does it all the time. He is trying to herd me. I stop walking and once Dexter stops trying to herd me, I say "thank you" and start walking again.

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
dbeech
Debbie B.

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Riley nudges the back of my calf and occasionally will nip at my pant leg, but with him it appears to be a herding behavior. He always does it in the morning as he tries to herd me downstairs and into the kitchen.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
ciera123

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, then I guess I'll quit worrying. We stop when she does it and tell her "No" firmly. We've tried yelping and that seems to amuse her more than anything. I think I will try the thank you and see what happens. Sounds like a havanese thing. My husband found an article that says that in Cuba the havanese was "the herder of the family poultry flock". Maybe she thinks I look like a chicken...
Old 09-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
good buddy

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
She's trying to "herd" you! Try the high pitched shreik which she does itand stop walking. My guys did it when they were pups, but either trained out ofit or outgrew it.
good buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
marb42

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Marble did this as a puppy constantly and it definitely got much better with training.
Now, Marble only does that when we run around the house or walk too quickly. I stop walking, and tell him "no." He will stop nipping at my pants. It does seem to resemble what Pixie does when she gets the zoomies.
Gina
Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
marltonmommy
marltonmommy

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, I had forgotten about that! Skippy and Sunshine both did that as puppies!!!! Sunshine grew out of it very fast! It took Skippy alittle longer, he was about 18 months before he stopped! I just kept reinforcing that I did not like it!!!
marltonmommy is offline   Reply With Quote