HEATH & BISCUIT HAVE PANCREATITIS ;-( - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Biscuit's mom
Amy R.'s Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 2,518
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 5 Posts

I've really had an awful 24 hrs with my dogs. On top of that, I have houseguests and had to give a brunch for 20 this AM.

Heath has had mild diarrhea for a few days. Both dogs saw the vet Wed for boosters, & were healthy. Except for Heath's diarrhea. I'd been giving him flagyl, & she said to continue.

Yesterday both boyz went to the groomer all day for major haircuts. They were fine when I picked them up. But later in the evening Heath vomited and had diarrhea MAYBE TWENTY TIMES!! He finally went to sleep & so this AM I took him to the Vet and with that, Biscuit also vomited (a yellowish bile).

Both boys were diagnosed with pancreatitis, most likely from a toxic source. ;-( They had IV's and were given various meds at the vet but discharged this afternoon because the vet is closed after 1 Pm til Monday AM. The Vet said I should take them home, but take them to the wkend dog ER if they vomit etc. again. I have 4 diff. meds to give, special food, etc.

Biscuit has been fine, but Heath won't eat & has vomited once & pooped too a large amount. I honestly don't know what to do! The ER is far, in a bad 'hood, and will likely cost 4-5K. This AM's treatment alone was $1500. I'm afraid Heath would totally stress out being there. Right now he's sleeping peacefully. He did take his water and the anti-nausea med, but threw up the antibiotic.

The source of this toxicity is a total mystery, as my dogs lead the most controlled lives, never off leash, never into garbage, never fed treats~~but it may be the fact that the gardener fertilized our yard without my permission Tuesday. (( I did check with the groomer & they insist the dogs ingested nothing there, like a tainted treat. )) The dogs were out in it briefly before I realized the fertilizing had been done. Otherwise, both dogs ate part of a shoe of mine a week ago~~could that have done it???

I'm beyond exhausted but wondering what to do for Heath~~try to wait til Monday AM to hospitalize him at our vet, if he's not better, or take him to ER. I'm beside myself with worry. . . thanks. Plus I really don't understand what pancreatitis is and what are the longterm ramifications.

and HEATH-Y, TOO !

Last edited by Amy R.; 02-14-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Amy R. is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Riley & Monte's mom
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 5,579
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 16 Times in 13 Posts
Oh no Amy I can imagine how worried you are right now. I would say if Heath vomits again take him to the ER and don't wait till Monday. We are sending over lots of healing vibes with hopes they are both feeling a bit better today.

Leeann, Riley, Monte & Rumor

Leeann is offline  
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
pjewel's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 8,941
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 25 Posts
I don't think I'd wait till Monday if he isn't significantly better. I can imagine the terror you're experiencing. I'm sending prayers and healing vibes your way.

<b>Just Milo and me, and . . . </b>Bailey makes three . . . until Ruby said, "hey, what about me?"
Geri, Milo, Bailey and HRH Princess Ruby Tuesday

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
pjewel is offline  
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Benji and Lizzie's Mom
Poornima's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,086
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 5 Posts
Amy, I am sending prayers and hugs. I wouldn't wait until Monday if Heath vomits again. Good luck!

Best, Poornima
Poornima is offline  
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
Jill in Mich's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,365
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 16 Times in 12 Posts
Amy, might there be another vet's office around you that is open? I have my normal vet, the emergency vet that is only a few minutes away and then vet that is 25 minutes away that have extended hours 7 days a week. They've always been willing to cooperate with my regular vet (transferring records, etc.) Their prices are higher than my normal vet but not nearly as expensive as the emergency vet. I'm not sure how you would find something like this on a Sunday but just throwing the idea out there.

Jill - Tess & Cody's mom
Jill in Mich is offline  
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:26 AM
and Murphy & Gracie too!
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 6,989
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
So sorry to hear that they're both sick, I don't think I'd wait if he's still vomiting as you don't want him to get dehydrated. I'd be searching for another vet office that's open.

Ann-Scooter, Murphy, & Gracie's Mom
Scooter's Family is offline  
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 201
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not an expert, and can only share what my personal experience has been.

What are the special foods exactly? Best in this case is to give very very small meals and those meals, in my non-vet opinon, should be easily digested homecooked and extremely low fat. For example, chicken breast and very well cooked white rice (cooked with much extra water and cooked to a mush). Give more rice than chicken to begin with and keep super super small meals, but more frequent for the dog that can keep the food/water down.

For the other dog, dehydration is the big thing to worry about. My two now have chronic pancreatitis, but I remember the weekend it hit both of them. My boy couldn't keep any water down. I tried giving just a tablespoon (he is 40+ lbs) once an hour, and by the second hour, he would throw it back up. When I took him in, his gums were still moist, but the vet said he was more dehydrated than that because throwing up makes the gums more moist.

If he can't keep the nausea med down, or any liquids, then I think you shoud take him to another vet to get a nausea shot (don't know if they did that yesterday at your vet or not). They might also have to give him subq fluids (if they do this, please ask them to take their time getting the fluids in and not to rush it). Doing this might be enough that you can bring him back home tonight. They will likely suggest keeping him overnight to keep him on the fluids, but that is gonig to be based on how bad he is. I wouldn't let him stay anywhere unless someone was there at all times keeping a watch on thiings. I was able to bring my boy back home that night. (I came home after work and found that he had spent the day with diarrhea from one wall to the other of my large living room. Then the vomitting started).

Resting the gut is very important,so don't stress so much about the food right now, but dehydration is what you need to watch. At this point in the game, this is likely the most serious issue. It can turn bad and ugle very fast -- do not take the dehydration issue lightly. It is very serious. If he isn't keeping any water down at all (even very small amounts), then I wouldn't wait too long b/c dehydration can happen fast, especially in smaller dogs. If they are drinking, then you might want to limit the amount at any one moment (don't want them drinking so much they will vomit it back up). Just getting the vet to put sub-q's in will go a long way in keeping him hydrated. In fact, it can take a day for the body to absorb all of that water. I would not let the vet give my boy the anti-nausea shot they wanted to (Cernia) because he has seizure issues and that drug does pass thru the blood brain barrier. So the vet put a shot of pepcid into the subcuteneous fluid, and he got his nasuea med this way. He paced the floor, extremely uncomfortable for about an hour (that was hard on us both), but then he rested. I don't know if the pacing was from the pepcid in the fluids, or the fluids themselves. Either way, there are options for nasuea meds if he cant' keep anythiig down.
. Doing this shouldn't cost tooo much, and necessary if no fluids are being kept down.

Don't worry now about long term issues.....it may or may not happen.....just deal with today and then tomorrow and then the next day. You might want to plan on not working Monday and maybe Tuesday, depending on how they are. Even if they are fine, you will not be able to go back to a normal feeding schedule for awhile. Also, don't be cooking in the house right now if you can help it -- no food odors. Make a sandwhich and go to another part of the house to eat --- do not let them even smell food at this point b/c the smell can trigger the pancreas to try and produce enzymes and this is what you need to rest b/c it is inflammed right now. So plan on no food odors in the house till they are considerably better. Ok, I now you need to cook them food.....so if you have a camping stove, that would be ideal or maybe a friend can do this. If not, then cook their food, while keeping them in another part of the house and air out that room as much as you can without making the house too cold. The food odors is not something you will run across doing a search, but I was told that by someone very smart on a specialty health forum and it makes sense to me to take this extra step if you can.

I'll check back in after church and hope for a good update that there has been no more vomitting or diarrhea and some amount of small water has been kept down.

Last edited by Chasza; 02-14-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Chasza is offline  
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Evye's Mom's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,098
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Amy I am sorry to hear that the boys are both ill and that all of you are having to go through this. I can only imagine the worry. Well wishes and healing hugs to all. Keep us updated.

Sharlene, Evye & Bentley's Mom (Taylor too)
Evye's Mom is offline  
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
Flynn Gentry-Taylor's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Helen, Georgia
Posts: 2,745
Submit Photo: 22
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I send along my best wishes and prayers for you too. Some good information above from Chasza's post. Let's just hope it is over quickly. Keep us posted.
Flynn Gentry-Taylor is offline  
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
Pixiesmom's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,815
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I hope the boys are better very very soon.

Beth, Pixie Puff and MiG too
Pixiesmom is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome