Can virus be gotten from mow crew? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nancyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 403
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can virus be gotten from mow crew?

A couple weeks ago, our 9 yr. old DaniGirl had a stool with mucus. Over a couple of days it got worse until it was watery. I gave her rice and ground beef a few days before it got better. Now our nearly 3 yr. old Bella has the mucus and runny stools.

I wash their bedding weekly; I washed their toys; they get a weekly bath; and I wash their feet when we get back from a walk.

I'm thinking this is a virus they picked up? We have our yard mowed. My question: can a virus be carried on mowers--like their wheels?

They've never had a virus and we just started this year having the yard mowed. What can I do about a virus--just wait it out?

Dani was fine and now this morning she had some mucus again in her stool but she was very stressed last night from lightening.
nancyf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,302
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
A couple weeks ago, our 9 yr. old DaniGirl had a stool with mucus. Over a couple of days it got worse until it was watery. I gave her rice and ground beef a few days before it got better. Now our nearly 3 yr. old Bella has the mucus and runny stools.

I wash their bedding weekly; I washed their toys; they get a weekly bath; and I wash their feet when we get back from a walk.

I'm thinking this is a virus they picked up? We have our yard mowed. My question: can a virus be carried on mowers--like their wheels?

They've never had a virus and we just started this year having the yard mowed. What can I do about a virus--just wait it out?

Dani was fine and now this morning she had some mucus again in her stool but she was very stressed last night from lightening.
I don't know! I guess maybe if the mower went through some bird, cat, squirrel, dog poo with germs in it and then carried it to your yard. I would guess it's just as likely a virus could show up if another animal brought it into your yard via poop, a dead bird, or even carried on their feet. The important thing is to get your doggies over it. I went though a bout of mucus an diarhea with my guys too and had no idea where they got it from but the vet gave us Metronidazole and that got rid of it fast! I hope they are doing better soon!
good buddy is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Member
 
Lindzarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do know that if you have a planted yard meaning with plants and nice well watered soil that may attract armadillos which have tons of terrible viruses and pets and people both are at risk. People are encouraged to wear gloves when in the yard but if a puppy is playing around and cleans his feet he can get sick. So the pups may need to see to take a trip to the vet! A lot of the time the puppies get intestinal upset trying to get the virus out of their system.

Gizmo's mom!
Lindzarie is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,302
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindzarie View Post
I do know that if you have a planted yard meaning with plants and nice well watered soil that may attract armadillos which have tons of terrible viruses and pets and people both are at risk.
Where do you live??? lol Armadillos are funny! We don't have those here!
good buddy is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Member
 
Lindzarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the suburbs of Atlanta GA. Haha well either way it could still be a virus!
Good luck! keep us updated!
Gizmo says feel better

Gizmo's mom!
Lindzarie is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
SMARTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,107
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
I had no idea what mow crew was.

We live in the woods, deer, rabbits, birds of all kinds, snakes, lizards, opossums and now armadillos. Anything the woods have to offer crosses our yard. No washed feet after walks and limited washing of toys. We have no issues with stools.

What did you vet say about the stools? If mine have something that bothers me a couple of days I have a culture or parasite check.

Sandi, taking a new road with Smarty and Galen
SMARTY is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nancyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 403
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
We took a stool sample in from Bella and should hear something in a couple of days. Both continue to eat and play as usual. And their stools are looking fine today. I'll let you all know what we hear.
nancyf is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,302
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
We took a stool sample in from Bella and should hear something in a couple of days. Both continue to eat and play as usual. And their stools are looking fine today. I'll let you all know what we hear.
Hopefully whatever it was they are over it now!
good buddy is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Tybee's Mom w/ Otterfreak
 
KarmaKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 157
Submit Photo: 37
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nancyf - Glad to hear all is looking up. Hope the samples clear things up for you

Lindzarie. I live in suburbs of ATL also. Are there Armadillos in Acworth GA?

Yikes.
KarmaKat is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nancyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 403
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bella's stool sample came back perfectly fine. We took one in for Dani yesterday so we'll see if that shows up fine, too. What could cause them both to have loose stools on and off for a week or so. These two dogs are as cute and wonderful as they are frustrating. Oh well, at least they have their stool samples done for their yearly check up.
nancyf is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome