I haven't been on the forum in ages but it was the first place I thought of after I got news from the vet about my dog and his small liver. I am not sure what to do or if the animal hospital is trying to get more money out of me but I figured I would share my story and hopefully someone has had a similar story or has any advice
So last Monday I gave Furley his monthly frontline (he is 1 year, 8 mos. old)
On Tuesday/Wednesday morning there was a storm and Furley was having trouble sleeping. Usually he is a sound sleeper. But he kept pacing/circling on the bed and looked uncomfortable. So I took him to the animal hospital, b/c it was so unlike him to do that (and plus I am super paranoid). Once we got the hospital the vet checked him out and said physically he looked fine and then she offered to take blood. So I figured it couldn't hurt. We left the hospital and they said they would call if something was up. So on Weds. we didn't hear from the hospital and then I called for the results. ALT and AST were high (one was higher than the other but I don't remember which one). Then two days later (Friday) I tested him again and the levels were still high. On Tuesday he got an ultrasound and a bile test. The ultrasound confirmed he had a small liver but no visible shunts. The results of the bile test were: Pre (33) and Post (22).
I have been looking online and they say the average for the post is 20 ... The animal hospital thinks he has a mild cogential disease. He is not showing any physical signs .. he is active, happy, he seems normal. If we didn't take him the night of the storm we wouldn't have thought twice of his behavior/presentation.
I are not sure what to do.... They wanted to have him take a nuclear scan (radioactive test) but I'm not sure if that is necessary .. I would rather not do that .. My vet thinks we should hold off from testing the animal hospital is proposing and do the bile test again in 10 days.
Has anyone had a similar story or any advice? I joined the yahoo group for liver disease but it is just making me more anxious. Furley currently eats Orijen dry kibble (I just switched him to Wellness b/c it has lower protein - literally just switched yesterday) and for treats .. Dogswell Breathies.
If anyone can offer any advice that would be GREATLY appreciated! I am really worried and if I never took him that night of the storm I wouldn't think twice of his behavior.
Sorry for the rambling post!!
Thanks a billion!