Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
It has been 4-5 years since we last posted. I guess we just got busy living life with Cooper. He has been THE BEST Hav for almost 10 years. He is sweet as can be and everyone he meet loves him. We always say "Everyone loves Coopie".... Everything changed for us in an instant 3 days ago. We noticed his belly was bloated. Actually if we look back at the many pics we take of him it looks like it started in January but became very noticeable about a week or so ago. We took him to our vet and they came back with the scariest news, tumors. They referred us to a medical hospital and told us to go right away. We arrived at 8:30 pm and were told the radiologist wasn't on so we could either leave Coop for monitoring or take him home and come back at 7 am. We took him home, He had a good night's sleep and we returned at 7 am. It was a long day waiting for the results but we finally heard. He has one mass on his spleen, not awful because removing the spleen is not too bad. But there was also another mass that they couldn't tell if it was part of the spleen mass or a separate mass.
As you can imagine our emotions are all over the place. We spoke to our vet and then went and spoke to the Dr at the hospital. There are a lot of if's and we are so confused. If it's not cancer and can be removed he can live many more years. If it is cancer and they can get it all out he can still live pretty long. If they go in and can only get the one from the spleen and the other is too impacted it would only be a matter of months. If they find more when they go in we could be faced with having to make a decision right there. The only way to know if it's cancer is to to try surgery. We've been told that it probably is cancer but can't be sure without surgery.
Do we put him through surgery? I can't just put him down without knowing, If it's not he has many more years. I don't want to put him through hell. Our minds are swirling while our hearts are destroyed..
We sat with Coop for 2 hours last night in the hospital. He seemed so normal and happy. We decided on the surgery... we have to give him a chance.. The surgery is today. They will call with a time. I want to be there when they do it. If it turns out bad and we have to let him go, I want to be with him. I can't have him go alone, with just strangers around.
None of this was even on the radar 3 days ago....I can't believe this happening now, so fast.
Donna & Brian