I have confused myself. I always have had beasties. When they reach 6 months, they would get spayed/neutered. I kinda thought that was the rule of thumb.
Now I mentioned that I made Jack's appointment to a trainer. She said I should put it off as long as I could. Jack needs the hormones. He isn't done growing yet.
but all my other beasties seemed okay.
Then I made an error of looking at the CD thread. Jack has one elbow that is rotated out a little. His wrist is rotated in. The vet told me that she couldn't tell if it was a genetic thing or if a birth defect/growth plate thing. Right now, it seems to be minor and not bothering him. She thought that when he is old, it may
Now I am wondering if I should hold out on neutering him. Would the extra time help his leg? Should I try some of the things mentioned in the CD thread first? eggs? supplements?
Ack... I think I will have to call the vet and ask their advice. Like I said, I confused myself.
P.S. Jack isn't being obnoxious or anything. No marking. No humping. He is just reaching that 6 month mark.
I think it's much more important to hold off neutering with big dogs. Early neutering can lead to the dog growing taller and having less muscle mass than he might have otherwise. (this is also true with horses) But these are statistical variations... it's not like Jack will be a giant if you neuter him now, or that he will be tiny and musclebound if you wait and neuter him at a year.
I had Kodi neutered at 6 1/2 months because that's what my vet suggested and what my contract called for. (though I suspect that if I'd had a strong opinion about holding off, the Kings would have been OK with it) Kodi is on the large side, but it isn't from early neutering... He was 6 lbs at 11 weeks... I often read about puppies on the forum who are 3lbs at 16 weeks! Would he have been a little smaller if I'd waited to neuter him? Who knows? More important, who cares? We didn't.<g>
It WAS important to me that we neuter him before he showed any signs of maturing sexual behavior, and he had already started to hump things at that age. I did NOT want to deal with a dog who marked. I found no compelling evidence that it was better to wait beyond 6 months on small dogs, although there seems to be clear evidence to support waiting on big ones.
As far as his elbow and wrist are concerned, I'd talk to June about it and also ask your vet. Of course it's possible that it's genetic, it's possible that it's congenital, and it's also possible that he hurt the growth plate by jumping (or falling) off something when he was younger. As hard as we try to protect our little ones, Hav puppies are jumping beans, and just jumping off a high bed and landing wrong can damage an immature growth plate.
If it was a trainer from Masterpeace who told you that you had to hold off, this is a "cultural" belief there. I love them all, and they are great trainers. But they are NOT vets, and only one of them (that I can think of) is a breeder. There are a lot of things that need to be weighed when deciding when to neuter a puppy.
I think you need to take in all the information you can so that you can make an informed decision. If that means a second opinion from a second vet (and I did that at the time too) go ahead and do it.