Orange stain on teeth - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Zumbaís Mom
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Lady Lake, FL
Posts: 447
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 11 Times in 11 Posts
Orange stain on teeth

I clean Zumbaís teeth regularly, and have her chew on the bones and bulky sticks the vet recommends. Still, i noticed the other day that, on both sides, on her back top teeth, there is an orange stain in the middle of the tooth. The gums look healthy and the rest of the teeth look good but, there are those stained teeth. Anybody have an idea of what caused it? Do I need to address it now, or can it wait? She just turned 8 months old yesterday.
Jeanniek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Mudpuppymama
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 285
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is the orange along the gum line?
mudpuppymama is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Zumbaís Mom
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Lady Lake, FL
Posts: 447
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 11 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppymama View Post
Is the orange along the gum line?
Some along the gum line and a bit in the middle of the tooth.
Jeanniek is offline  
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Mudpuppymama
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 285
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanniek View Post
Some along the gum line and a bit in the middle of the tooth.
It could be tartar, however she is so young. Others may have advice on whether you should have the vet check it out now or wait. I hope you find an answer. Tartar is sometimes hard to fight in small dogs regardless of how much you brush their teeth. I feed a raw diet now so my dogs rarely get tartar. However, it accumulated very fast when I fed kibble.
Jeanniek likes this.
mudpuppymama is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Zumbaís Mom
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Lady Lake, FL
Posts: 447
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 11 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppymama View Post
It could be tartar, however she is so young. Others may have advice on whether you should have the vet check it out now or wait. I hope you find an answer. Tartar is sometimes hard to fight in small dogs regardless of how much you brush their teeth. I feed a raw diet now so my dogs rarely get tartar. However, it accumulated very fast when I fed kibble.
Thatís good to know. She does have a diet of 1/2 raw diet and 1/2 freeze dried raw. Her treats are mostly freeze dried. Thereís one air dried, and I think one that is like a kibble, that has finally finished and I wonít be getting again.

I thank you for your input. I hope somebody has seen it before.
Jeanniek is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
EvaE1izabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 858
Submit Photo: 106
Photo Submissions 25 Times in 25 Posts
Can you tell if itís a permanent tooth or a baby tooth?

I think where you have a good oral hygiene routine, itís worth following up because itís less likely to be a simple case of needing to brush more. There are lots of things that can cause discoloration of human teeth other than decay, such as to permanent teeth before they erupt, so I assume itís the same for dogs. Sometimes discoloration can indicate a cavity, so if itís on two teeth next to each other there could be something going on between them or at the gumline. I donít think that means itís anything serious, but even if it does turn out she just needs special attention to oral hygiene better to know now and be able to plan for it.

These are all guesses Iím making based on having grown up in a dental office, hopefully youíll get the answers you need from someone who knows more about dogs!
EvaE1izabeth is offline  
The Following User Nominates EvaE1izabeth Great Photo:
siewhwee (04-03-2019)
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Heather's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 3,662
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 88 Times in 87 Posts
The orange color is the beginnings of tartar. Even though I brush Scout and Truffles teeth daily Scout gets orange spots in the crevices of his back molars. I use an Oral B electric toothbrush on him. Truffles didn't tolerate is at all! 😬 Scout has had his teeth cleaned twice at the pet hospital. Truffles has had her teeth cleaned once last year by a dentist. They both have appointments with the dentist in June for a pre check-up to cleanings. The dentist took before and after cleaning pictures and x-rays. Truffles had a small chip on her molar which was smoothed out. She also had sealant applied. That would not have been done at the pet hospital. It's a bit of a drive, but feel it's worth it.
Jeanniek and Riki like this.

Heather, Scout, Truffles & Sparky
Heather's is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Mudpuppymama
 
mudpuppymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 285
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather's View Post
The orange color is the beginnings of tartar. Even though I brush Scout and Truffles teeth daily Scout gets orange spots in the crevices of his back molars. I use an Oral B electric toothbrush on him. Truffles didn't tolerate is at all! 😬 Scout has had his teeth cleaned twice at the pet hospital. Truffles has had her teeth cleaned once last year by a dentist. They both have appointments with the dentist in June for a pre check-up to cleanings. The dentist took before and after cleaning pictures and x-rays. Truffles had a small chip on her molar which was smoothed out. She also had sealant applied. That would not have been done at the pet hospital. It's a bit of a drive, but feel it's worth it.
Wow that is awesome that Scout tolerates the electric toothbrush! I know mine would not! I do think many small dogs accumulate tartar even with very diligent teeth brushing. Feeding raw has significantly reduced tartar on my dogs yet they still get a little mainly on their canine teeth and they have needed cleanings twice in 11 years. I use fragaria vesca once a week to prevent tartar and if it starts to build up I do a daily treatment for 30 days. This does help my dogs but my friend tried it on hers and said it did not help.
mudpuppymama is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Heather's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA
Posts: 3,662
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 88 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppymama View Post
Wow that is awesome that Scout tolerates the electric toothbrush! I know mine would not! I do think many small dogs accumulate tartar even with very diligent teeth brushing. Feeding raw has significantly reduced tartar on my dogs yet they still get a little mainly on their canine teeth and they have needed cleanings twice in 11 years. I use fragaria vesca once a week to prevent tartar and if it starts to build up I do a daily treatment for 30 days. This does help my dogs but my friend tried it on hers and said it did not help.
I think tartar develops differently on each dog...just like us. Scout has large teeth and even with the Oral B electric still gets a little tartar on the back molars. Truffles has tiny teeth and had only a little tartar on her molars before cleaning at 4 yrs old. After her cleaning and one year later she has no tartar. I think maybe the dentist did a more thorough job.

Heather, Scout, Truffles & Sparky

Last edited by Heather's; 04-04-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Heather's is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lake Gaston, N.C.
Posts: 3,072
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 21 Times in 21 Posts
Pam scrapes tartar off with dental tools for people. You can buy them off Amazon. Tartar comes off pretty easily if caught early. We've had more trouble with teeth that have been "deep cleaned" at the Vets than doing this. I guess because she catches it before it gets down under the gums. They learn to tolerate it fairly quickly.

Like a lot of the individual differences, some accumulate it more quickly than others.
Jeanniek likes this.
Tom King is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome