Tillie swallowed a cherry pit!?? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 36 Posts
Tillie swallowed a cherry pit!??

Tonight at dinner my husband spit a cherry pit and it landed on the floor... Tillie was very nearby and although we didn't SEE her eat it, we could not find it anywhere! So, we are pretty sure she ate it... I remember reading that cherry pits are toxic to havs?? What should I do?
My husband insists she will be fine and that it will just pass through... I hope he's right!??
Anything I should be doing? She had just eaten dinner, so I know she has a full belly...

Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mintchip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF area
Posts: 6,425
Submit Photo: 63
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 48 Posts
they can be but ?????
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...s_to_pets.html

Sally,((Oliver)) Comet and Pennie too!
The best things in life are not things!
mintchip is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Missy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,746
Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 48 Times in 35 Posts
Oh dear. I hope tillie is ok. they are so small I assume it will pass. I know you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide I read on here 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon for an 11 lb dog. I have never done this. Is there an emergency vet you can call for advice?

Keeping her in my thoughts.




Missy, Jasper & Cash
Missy is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Elissa's and Ceylon's Mom
 
heatherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 965
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hi Tammy,

I wouldn't worry about a single cherry pit, unless Tillie starts having symptoms. Elissa (my daughter) left a lot of cherry pits on the floor of my bedroom a while ago (long story - I wasn't happy with her at the time lol, because of Ceylon) and although I thought I cleaned them all up, every once in a while I find Ceylon chewing on a random cherry pit that he found when he's in my room. Of course, I make him spit it out every time I find him chewing on one, and I search again for more pits, but so far he has suffered no ill effects (and I am pretty sure that he has swallowed more than one).

Hydrogen peroxide is the recommended method to get a dog to throw up, but the first, last, and only time I tried it (after Ceylon ate 3/4 of a chocolate brownie left in the car by my daughter), it didn't work (Ceylon was fine, of course - he just never threw up, at least not until hours later). Not sure if I didn't give him enough hydrogen peroxide or what, but I won't give it to him again until I talk with my vet about what to do if he does really eat something toxic, and the correct dose to give him. And hydrogen peroxide will only work (I have read) if your dog ingested the toxic thing within the last couple of hours. Again, I don't think you need to be worried about the cherry pit, but, being prepared in the case in which your furbaby does eat something truly toxic, is a good thing. I would suggest that you talk to your vet about what really might be toxic, and what you can do immediately to give your dog as an emetic if recommended (some poisons should NOT be thrown up), and have it on hand JIC.

But, although some dogs might react badly to a cherry pit, most dogs will pass it through harmlessly. If Tillie is having bad symptoms, I think that you would have noticed by now, and taken her to the vet already. Otherwise, I really wouldn't worry about one, or even a few, cherry pits. (Just my ignorant opinion, I am not qualified to give real canine medical advice, and I am sure some other more knowledgeable people on this forum will chime in )
heatherk is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Member
 
becks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 55
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG, thanks for the warning. Im going to have to be extra vigilent come summer. My neighbour has a huge, and I mean huge, cherry tree that overhangs our fence and drops fruit onto our deck. It just happens to be the deck that Boz dog door opens on to.

I hate this tree with a passion and I have given up begging the neighbours every year to allow us to trim it back as far as possible. I always seem to be moaning about it and I really do not want to fall out with them. I have always been worried about Boz eating the pips mainly just for chocking issues but I was unaware that the pips were toxic. **** tree. Birds eat the fruit then sit on my clothes line and **** on my washing, fruit makes a mess all over my deck and now the dog risks being poisoned. **** tree.

PS, they also have olive trees that are planted along the fence line, please dont tell me these are poisonous as well??

Rebecca
becks is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Gucci's mom
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 9,378
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 11 Posts
I don't think it will hurt, I think it will pass through with little issues, I'd just check the stools for a few days with a stick and see if you can find it (gross I know, but it will pacify your worry if you do find it)

I love cherries, I wish my neighbor had a tree

Kara
Thumper is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 4,515
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I have never heard of them being poisonous but I do know that peach pits are supposed to have something poisonous inside the pit - arsenic or cyanide? McGee eats these big nut-like things on our gum trees outside - I don't think they are poisonous or he would be dead by now! I think the squirrels eat them so I guess they're safe for dogs, too. I think we've managed to keep the cherry pits away from him so far!

Kathie, Abby & McGee's Mom
Kathie is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 36 Posts
Tillie seems to be okay this morning. She has poo'd but I didn't see a pit yet ...
thanks for all the advice and reasuring words!

Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Missy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,746
Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 48 Times in 35 Posts
great news.




Missy, Jasper & Cash
Missy is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
mintchip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF area
Posts: 6,425
Submit Photo: 63
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 48 Posts
stay healthy Tillie!

Sally,((Oliver)) Comet and Pennie too!
The best things in life are not things!
mintchip is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome