Hi all. Sorry it's been so long since I posted. Life has just been crazy busy.
Bella just turned 1 last month. She is beautiful and sweet and we love her to pieces.
Several months ago we noticed she was holding her left hind paw up off the floor, sort of dangling it and I rushed her to the vet thinking she may have a small cut on her foot or maybe stepped on a pebble or something outside and it was bothering her. The vet checked her and moved her leg around and said she looked fine and to just keep an eye on her.
She seemed to be doing fine for a couple of months but lately again she has been holding her left rear leg up off the floor on and off. It's hard to see with all her long hair but in the past week or so it is dangling in the air most of the time an inch or two off the floor. Sometimes she sort of drags it.
I ran back to the vet again and this time when they checked her she cried when the vet straightened out her hind leg. They took xrays and my poor baby has a problem. The vet said she has bone rubbing on bone at the top of her femur where it joins her hip. The bone is showing some necrosis and she has arthritis. She's only a one year old baby :-(
It's breaking my heart that our puppy is in pain. She's so good and she doesn't cry. The vet started her on medication (Arthrimaxx once a day and Metacam once a day) and will follow this regimen for 2 weeks and then re-examine her to see if there is any improvement. If she doesn't improve she will have to have surgery.
Has anyone had this problem and had their baby be fine after medication? Did they have to have surgery? I'm so worried. She has been on the meds 3 days now and is still hopping. My 8 year old daughter is beside herself. I bought Bella from who I believe to be a reputable breeder who indicated she does health testing. The vet bill just for xrays/medication etc. was almost $500.
Ohh I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope Bella improves with the medicines and doesn't need the surgery. I understand your frustration and fears. Even when we buy them from reputable breeders, there is always a chance of having health problems in our dogs. Let us know how it goes. Good luck. I hope you feel better, Bella !
Our Tibetan terrier developed a similar problem,but he was over 12 years old,anyway he was put on some very good medicine, plus the metacam for pain, as initially the medication[I can't remember what it was called]makes the pain worse,but after a little time,he was racing around good as new,we would have to have him checked out every 6 months.
I'm sorry Bella's leg is hurting her. Maddie has a bone issue where they say she will develop arthritis. And the only operation would be to fuse her leg or amputate. Did your vet get a really good xray? We had to have Maddie put to sleep for her xray. Then had to go to a orthopedic doctor. It sounds like the bone rubbing is more painful than what Maddie has because she only limped for a couple days. I hope she feels better soon.
I am so sorry to hear the news about baby Bella and hope she is doing better now. We are seeing more of a condition know as Legg-Calve-Perthes in Havanese. You may want to make sure that the vet checks for that. The symptoms usually occur around 1 year of age and include failure to put wait on a hind leg. Don't mean to scare you but it's something I would ask about. The disease sounds frightening but the prognosis is good with the right treatment. Of course, a dog with LCP should never be bred, not should the pair that produced it be bred together again. LCP is genetic and should be covered in puppy contracts for help with vet bills. http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Heal...s-Disease.aspx