More Neuter Questions - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HannahBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 531
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
More Neuter Questions

I took Maccabee to the vet yesterday because he had been coughing and sneezing, and yesterday I thought his breathing sounded raspy. Of course when he got to the vet, he was a perfectly happy, perfectly healthy puppy! The vet said if I hadn't told him the history, he would not have suspected a thing.

While I was there, I got an estimate for his neuter surgery:
Neuter: $283.93
*Subcutaneous Fluids (pre-surgery): $38.63
*Pre-Anesthetic Blood Screen: $73.15
*Pre-Anesthetic ECG: $60.27
TOTAL: $455.98

* = Optional

Does this look reasonable? Would you do everything, or is there anything listed that you'd skip?

Maccabee's permanent teeth are coming in, but many of the baby teeth have not fallen out (i.e., he has two sets of canine teeth), so the vet wants to pull the baby teeth while he is under anesthesia.

One interesting note: the tech told me that their neuter patients generally don't go home with a cone. The vet does two sets of internal sutures and uses glue on the outside, rather than external stitches. My daughter had her chin glued at the ER a couple years ago and it healed beautifully, so I'm not at all worried about that. And, no external stitches generally menas a more comfortable recovery.

___________________
Laurie

Starborn Light My Fire (Maccabee)


HannahBearsMom is offline  
The Following User Nominates HannahBearsMom Great Photo:
Cheryls (06-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
rokipiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 467
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would do blood tests, but think that other stuff is not necessary. Try to wait with neuter as long as possible.
Roki has two sets of canines at the same time, but they fell out by themselves. You will have to pull baby teeht if they do not go away after he is eight months. Pulling teeth out can cost you quite a lot (here they charge by tooth) and in 99 percent of cases it is unnecessary.
Marina&Roki

Marina&Roki

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,588
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahBearsMom View Post
I took Maccabee to the vet yesterday because he had been coughing and sneezing, and yesterday I thought his breathing sounded raspy. Of course when he got to the vet, he was a perfectly happy, perfectly healthy puppy! The vet said if I hadn't told him the history, he would not have suspected a thing.

While I was there, I got an estimate for his neuter surgery:
Neuter: $283.93
*Subcutaneous Fluids (pre-surgery): $38.63
*Pre-Anesthetic Blood Screen: $73.15
*Pre-Anesthetic ECG: $60.27
TOTAL: $455.98

* = Optional

Does this look reasonable? Would you do everything, or is there anything listed that you'd skip?

Maccabee's permanent teeth are coming in, but many of the baby teeth have not fallen out (i.e., he has two sets of canine teeth), so the vet wants to pull the baby teeth while he is under anesthesia.

One interesting note: the tech told me that their neuter patients generally don't go home with a cone. The vet does two sets of internal sutures and uses glue on the outside, rather than external stitches. My daughter had her chin glued at the ER a couple years ago and it healed beautifully, so I'm not at all worried about that. And, no external stitches generally menas a more comfortable recovery.
It's about a third more than I paid, but I suspect that everything is more expensive in the DC area, and that's where you are, isn't it? As far as what he plans to do, that sounds exactly like what Kodi had, though we had a line item for pain meds too. You might want to ask about that. They allreact differently, and it can be good to have them on hand. Kodi definitely needed them for the first two days.

Kodi did have external stitches, but he didn't need a cone anyway. I think that very much depends on the dog.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HannahBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 531
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
we had a line item for pain meds too. You might want to ask about that.
The surgery fee includes pain meds. The tech specifically mentioned that.

Yes, I'm in the DC area.

___________________
Laurie

Starborn Light My Fire (Maccabee)


HannahBearsMom is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,588
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Oh, I would check with Pam and Tom about the teeth... The pro of having it done with the neuter is they only have to anesthitize him once. The con is that it very well might not be needed.

I think most vets will want to have a saline drip going before and during surgery. This gives them quick access to a vein in case of an emergency during neutering. i'd be surprised if they would agree to any surgery without it.

Incidentally, I can't remember if you are planning to keep him in long coat or not, but I specifically asked for minimal shaving, including for his IV. They managed to get his IV in by just wetting his leg with alcohol, and didn't need to shave him there at all. Underneath, of course, there is not much to shave, and it doesn't show anyway!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HannahBearsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 531
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Oh, I would check with Pam and Tom about the teeth... The pro of having it done with the neuter is they only have to anesthitize him once. The con is that it very well might not be needed.

I think most vets will want to have a saline drip going before and during surgery. This gives them quick access to a vein in case of an emergency during neutering. i'd be surprised if they would agree to any surgery without it.

Incidentally, I can't remember if you are planning to keep him in long coat or not, but I specifically asked for minimal shaving, including for his IV. They managed to get his IV in by just wetting his leg with alcohol, and didn't need to shave him there at all. Underneath, of course, there is not much to shave, and it doesn't show anyway!
I sent an email to Pam this morning. When I spoke with her a while back, she said to wait on the neuter and his teeth will likely fall out on their own. Some have fallen out, but others are still in there tightly, with permanent teeth behind them. I'm not rushing to neuter, but I'm thinking about it.

I'm planning in keeping Maccabee in a longish puppy cut. I'll ask for minimal shaving and see what happens.

___________________
Laurie

Starborn Light My Fire (Maccabee)


HannahBearsMom is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Carefulove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,530
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 8 Posts
Laurie,

Toby had 2 sets of canines for a few days (I would say more than a week) until they finally fell off. I did "massage/wiggle" them every day. I contacted Pam and Tom and he told me the same thing, just wait, they will fall off. Now Toby has beautiful perfect teeth. Give him time...

As for the surgery, I would def. do the blood work (pre-anesthetic) sp?, and the pain management med.

I just looked and this is what I paid for Bumi.

Surgery $ 265
Pre-anesthetic Tests $ 62
pain Package $ 26

Zury

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.

Peluito's Phoenix King (Nix)
Carefulove is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome