Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southwest Washington
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
I think there are different thoughts on the allergy testing. While many say/think it is not necessary and that they may not give you an accurate picture, we did go that route with Finn. He was having continual yeast ear infections, and it started before he was a year old. I contacted his breeder and found out that his daddy was having some allergy issues - after she had changed his food - he had been perfectly fine before that. She went the allergy testing route, changed his diet accordingly, and he has been doing much better. So, I decided to go through the expense of having Finn tested too, and changed his food. He also tested positive for grasses, trees, molds. And he does much better if I wash his face well and rinsing his paws after bringing him back inside. We have had some success with keeping his ear infections under control since changing his diet and I put drops in his ears a couple of times a week. Our vet told us that while sometimes the allergy testing and treatment sometimes isn't too successful, she has seen a fair amount of success with treating allergies with desensitization shots following allergy testing if avoidance of the offending allergens does not offer sufficient relief. She felt that in Finn's case, because he was so young when the allergies made an appearance, that it would be worth going this route.
Linda, Augie & Finn's Mom