Female Puppy Questions? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Female Puppy Questions?

Oh Boy, I am now the owner of a ten month old Female Havanese to keep my two year old Barney company. I have never had a female and was told that she has never been in heat. Does this sound possible, or could she have been and the previous owner not known it? I do have an appointment with the Vet for this Friday and will have her taken care of, , but my Barney who was neutered at the age of seven months keeps humping her when they play.. I am perlexed as to why he would do this, she doesn't appear to be in heat and he has been fixed so I don't know what to make of this situation? Also, have read the thread about the anal glands and this is very new to me also. Should I ask my Vet to do this or just wait and see if she has any problems. Love to hear what some of you have experienced with your males and females or if Barney is a little "mixed" up??

Elaine
ElaineK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Kathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 2,082
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Elaine,
Many bitches don't have their first heat until after 12 months of age. Barney may be showing her who is dominate, not trying to breed her. Although, have you checked her to see if she could be in heat?
Kathy is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
CacheHavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N. Nevada
Posts: 1,665
Submit Photo: 25
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
Oh Boy, I am now the owner of a ten month old Female Havanese to keep my two year old Barney company. I have never had a female and was told that she has never been in heat. Does this sound possible, or could she have been and the previous owner not known it? I do have an appointment with the Vet for this Friday and will have her taken care of, , but my Barney who was neutered at the age of seven months keeps humping her when they play.. I am perlexed as to why he would do this, she doesn't appear to be in heat and he has been fixed so I don't know what to make of this situation? Also, have read the thread about the anal glands and this is very new to me also. Should I ask my Vet to do this or just wait and see if she has any problems. Love to hear what some of you have experienced with your males and females or if Barney is a little "mixed" up??

Elaine

Hi Elaine,
Congrats on your new girl.

I can say that yes it could be possible for her to of not come into heat yet as I have a bitch who didn't come into her first heat when she was 18 months old, however I would believe more that she could have had a silent heat.
As far as the anal glands, be a professional groomer we have learned that it is best to only express the anal glands if there is a sign of them being full. If you go and have them done more often that needed, that could lead to more problems.
For your boy the only thing I would think of him doing this may be due to the fact that he is just happy to have a lady friend around

Don't know if any of this help, but good luck with your two.

Heather

Caché Havanese
"What Lies Behind Us And What Lies Before Us
Are Tiny Matters Compared To What Lies Within Us."



Here are some links to help educate yourself in how to fight for your rights to continue to own and love your animals. Please do not be mislead by PETA or HSUS who is PETA in suits.
CacheHavs is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Elaine,
Many bitches don't have their first heat until after 12 months of age. Barney may be showing her who is dominate, not trying to breed her. Although, have you checked her to see if she could be in heat?
Thanks for your advice Kathy, yes yesterday I did check her because when she jumped up on my lap I noticed a very strong scent and thought she had stepped in "something" outside. I didn't see a thing and bathed her immediately. But even before I bathed her the smell seemed to just go away. Now I'm wondering if it could have been her anal glands even though after reading the info on this forum, I can't see any sign that they are full. Oh well, just another mystery of being a dog owner. Will talk with my Vet on Friday when I take her in. Thanks again..
Elaine
ElaineK is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CacheHavs View Post
Hi Elaine,
Congrats on your new girl.

I can say that yes it could be possible for her to of not come into heat yet as I have a bitch who didn't come into her first heat when she was 18 months old, however I would believe more that she could have had a silent heat.
As far as the anal glands, be a professional groomer we have learned that it is best to only express the anal glands if there is a sign of them being full. If you go and have them done more often that needed, that could lead to more problems.
For your boy the only thing I would think of him doing this may be due to the fact that he is just happy to have a lady friend around

Don't know if any of this help, but good luck with your two.
Thanks Heather, you may be right, Barney loves having someone to play rough with and perhaps that is just his way of "welcoming" Bella to the family..I will discuss this "anal" gland thing with my Vet when she goes in on Friday to see what he says. I hate to start something that really isn't a problem. Will wait and see.. Thanks for your advice.
Elaine
ElaineK is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 PM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 33 Posts
My guys hump each other just to show dominance. I tell them to knock it off! Bella is spayed and freddie neutered, but he still tries humping her! He also humps Scudder and Scudder does it back. I am just happy Bella doesn't do the humpty dump!





lfung5 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Missy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,746
Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 48 Times in 35 Posts
Hi Elaine, yeah! you got a pup!!! I think Barney is just trying to show her who's boss!!! my two neutered boys take turns humping each other. good luck post more pictures of your two.




Missy, Jasper & Cash
Missy is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
irnfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,619
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 19 Posts
Mine are both fixed. Kodi humps (or tries to hump) Shelby all the time. As soon as he mounts her, she sits down and he slides right off. Good girl Shelby.

However, I noticed lately, that she has been returning the favor and humping him when she gets real mad.


Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome