WARNING! DO NOT feed raisins!!! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Tori's mom
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 4,988
Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 6 Posts
Exclamation WARNING! DO NOT feed raisins!!!

I received this in an email and wanted to share it with all of you.

"Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handlers. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above...
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp"

~Leslie

At our house, we spell happiness H-A-V-A-N-E-S-E
Leslie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 33 Posts
I always yell at DH when he eats trail mix. He drops pieces of it and I go around picking it up behind him. I tell him everything is harmful if the dogs get it, that way he is more careful with all foods!





lfung5 is offline  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ca
Posts: 1,672
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Raisins are extremely toxic .. They had a lab at U?c Davis when asta was there . he underwent dialysis and he did recover .. Long hard recovery ..
I do not even buy raisins anymore . my husband has to do without ..
Cosmosmom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome