This is a very sensitive subject to me, having gone through this myself (and having made a questionable decision at the time that it happened). I DO agree that we all, as hav parents, need to be prepared for if and when our dogs eat something they shouldn't, and that having hydrogen peroxide on hand is necessary, and as such I am very grateful for Tuss for bringing this subject up, and especially for sharing her experience and knowledge with us. That being said, I just want to point out a few very important things -
PLEASE be careful with administering ANY emetic. Chocolate ingestion in dogs is a case where generally
an emetic is the correct way to go, but not every toxin should be treated with an emetic - there are toxins that can cause WAY more harm coming back up.
PLEASE NOTE the PERCENTAGE of peroxide before administering! Generally, household hydrogen peroxide is 3% peroxide, but it can be bought over the counter in up to concentrations of up to I believe 35%. A tablespoon of 35% peroxide is almost 12 times the amount of peroxide - basically, poison - than in a 3% solution!!
ASPCA recommends NOT mixing in food or water, and also recommends only 1 teaspoon of 3% peroxide per 5lbs of body weight as an emetic: http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01158.htm
. However, and this just a personal opinion - I don't know that the amount to be administered is really a linear equation per pound of body weight. I know that it took more
than 2 tablespoons of (3%) peroxide to get my dog to throw up after eating part of a chocolate brownie that my daughter left in the car, and he didn't even weigh 10 lbs at the time.
Finally, chances are that if your dog ate only a bite or so of chocolate, especially depending on the concentration of pure chocolate in what they ate, they might be OK, and might
be better off just passing it through their system than also ingesting peroxide, a toxin itself, as well. What I mean to say is that chocolate is definitely toxic to dogs, but so is peroxide. And it takes a bit of chocolate to actually cause toxicity in most dogs (some dogs are more sensitive to Theobromine poisoning than others - for some dogs, even a tiny bit can be deadly, but for most, it will take quite a bit of pure chocolate to even see the gastronomical effects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning
, let alone severe poisoning or death).
I learned all of this the hard way myself. I panicked when Cey ate half of a chocolate brownie when he was very young, and I kept giving him peroxide - more than the recommended dose - because he wouldn't throw up and wouldn't throw up. He ended up being fine - he did finally throw up, but only later that night, and given the amount of chocolate that he actually ingested, I now know that I probably over reacted, and was walking a very fine line by giving him too much of another toxin to try to get him to throw up the brownie. As it turned out, he was fine, but it really was lesson to me.
The best things that you can do in my opinion are 1) be prepared (this means not only having supplies on hand such as hydrogen peroxide, but also doing research ahead of time to understand
what things are toxic to dogs and in what amounts, i.e., everything I said above was just my opinion really - do your own research!), 2) call a vet when and if it happens, and 3) listen to your own gut. Not the gut feeling of panic of Oh My God My Dog Just Ate Chocolate What Do I Do, but rather, your real gut feelings. Not all vets are going to be right, if we know anything from this forum it's that haha. They will probably know more than you, but at the end of the day, YOU are the one responsible for your dog, and only you can decide what is right for him.
Wow, I'll get off of my soapbox now! I just really do want everybody to really
think about these things so that they don't make mistakes like I did, with potentially much more disastrous results! I really am glad that Ruby is OK, and it sounds like you (Tuss) did the absolute right thing. I just want to make sure that people understand all of the issues at hand here...