Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Maccabee has a Liver Shunt
Over the past several months, Maccabee has been sick on and off with various infections. He would start recovering and then come down with something else. Last week, we finally discovered what is wrong with him. He has a liver shunt. I'm still awaiting the results of one final test which should help determine whether it is a single shunt that can be surgically corrected (the internist visualized one large extra-hepatic shunt when she did the ultrasound) or one large shunt and additional smaller shunts.
For the next several weeks he is on several medications and supplements, and a protein restricted diet. If we learn, as we expect to, that it is only one shunt he will have surgery in a few weeks.
My vet referred us to a specialty clinic and he is being seen by an internist, who plans to refer us to a local specialty surgical group as well as the University of TN small animal clinic (my suggestion). UT is apparently THE place to go for this surgery.
I set up a consultation with Sabine (canine nutritionist) while I was still trying to figure out what was wrong with him. We are supposed to "meet" this week to come up with a diet.
As you can imagine, I am very worried about Maccabee. His breeder has been very helpful. We've spoken several times and she has contacted some people she knows regarding diets and supplements. She also offered to help care for Maccabee as he recovers.
I know the surgery has a high rate of success, but it is still very scary. Please keep us in your thoughts as we navigate unknown waters.
Starborn Light My Fire (Maccabee)
Last edited by HannahBearsMom; 04-07-2013 at 03:30 PM.