Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Monmouth, IL
Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 30 Times in 13 Posts
We have fought allergies with our lab for 10 years. When we got her as a puppy, her gums would get fire red. I believe this was our first indication that something was wrong, but our vet would dismiss my questions about it. We have spent a small fortune trying to make her more comfortable, but nothing has really worked successfully for any lengh of time until we went to the Univ. of IL vet school. Things are better, but not great, partly because we opted not to have her tested and given allergy shots. (we had done that before with minimal success with another vet) Kai does the rubbing of her chin, muzzle, and face all the time...this is a food allergy sign. She is on a kangeroo diet ($55 every three weeks) and on a small dose of steriods.
My suggestion would be to go to a specialist....either a vet or a teaching University and follow their recommendations. Your Hav is young and from our experience it doesn't get better on it's own. If you could have Jasper tested now, you could find out exactly what he is allergic to and follow a treatment plan. We tried to do it as cheaply as we could at the time when in the long run, I think we would have been better off going to a specialist and sticking with their plan. The funny thing about all of this is that our children both had allergies and got allergy shots every month. Go figure that our dog would have the same thing!! They were all three allergic to dust mites, too!!! I'm the worst house keeper, so that didn't help! She would have been a good one to have insurance on, but we didn't. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.....my sympathies are with you!!