Weight question - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
 
Ruth4Havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 887
Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Question Weight question

Today we just went to the vet for Chester's first vet check, and so far a healthy pup, even though he is seven pounds! He is only two months old! I don't think he is supposed to be that heavy. The vet said that Chester's weight would have to be doubled or something (?) and he would turn out to be 35 pounds. I don't believe any Havanese has been close to that weight or should be. His nickname is Polar Bear, and I think he deserves that name cuz he's so big!My mom contacted the breeder and Chester's parents are both 14 pounds. Is this ok to be this big?


Hav to hav a Hav!!!
Ruth and Chester
(Chester's DOB - 4/04/13)
"Dogs are NOT stupid, they are smarter than you think."

Last edited by Ruth4Havs; 06-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Ruth4Havs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I don't think that is so big. I can't remember but Jack was around there at 8-10 weeks. He is 18 pounds now. The vet is okay with his weight.

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
 
Ruth4Havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 887
Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
We are starting to think that he is a Golden Retriever.


Hav to hav a Hav!!!
Ruth and Chester
(Chester's DOB - 4/04/13)
"Dogs are NOT stupid, they are smarter than you think."
Ruth4Havs is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,608
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Havs View Post
Today we just went to the vet for Chester's first vet check, and so far a healthy pup, even though he is seven pounds! He is only two months old! I don't think he is supposed to be that heavy. The vet said that Chester's weight would have to be doubled or something (?) and he would turn out to be 35 pounds. I don't believe any Havanese has been close to that weight or should be. His nickname is Polar Bear, and I think he deserves that name cuz he's so big!My mom contacted the breeder and Chester's parents are both 14 pounds. Is this ok to be this big?
While it's certainly "bigger than average", there are other big Havs on the forum. There is nothing "wrong" with the bigger ones, unless you are looking to show them in conformation. Otherwise, it's just more of him to love!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,608
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 298 Times in 296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Havs View Post
We are starting to think that he is a Golden Retriever.


I think he's going to be big, but I seriously doubt he'll actually end up being 35 lbs!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
LINDA
 
lfung5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 6,496
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 36 Times in 33 Posts
Could he be overweight at all?

A gal I know has a chihuahua and was feeding him too much. She thought he had a slow metabolism but it turned out she was feeding him about 300 calories a day! She sent me a picture of her dog and he is morbidly obese. I'm sure that's not your case but just thought I would mention it
He is probably just a big boy. My Fred and Scuddrr both weigh more than their parents.





lfung5 is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
 
Ruth4Havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 887
Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
Could he be overweight at all?

A gal I know has a chihuahua and was feeding him too much. She thought he had a slow metabolism but it turned out she was feeding him about 300 calories a day! She sent me a picture of her dog and he is morbidly obese. I'm sure that's not your case but just thought I would mention it
He is probably just a big boy. My Fred and Scuddrr both weigh more than their parents.
No, I don't think he's overweight at all. Chester eats regularly but he probably he is just a big boy.


Hav to hav a Hav!!!
Ruth and Chester
(Chester's DOB - 4/04/13)
"Dogs are NOT stupid, they are smarter than you think."
Ruth4Havs is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Did the vet think he was overweight? Run your fingers along his spine. If his spine protrudes like your knuckles when you make a tight fist, too skinny. If it is buried and flabby like your knuckles when your hand is flatten, too pudgy. If it is halfway in between, similar to when your hand is relaxed or curled to type, just right.

I hope this helps.

Jack's parents weighed 14 & 16 lbs. He weighs 18. Just remind the vet that AKC doesn't have a weight limit on the Hav standard. It is a min-max height limit, so there is a huge range (8.5-11.5 inches). A lot can happen in three inches.

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
 
Ruth4Havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 887
Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscsps View Post
Did the vet think he was overweight? Run your fingers along his spine. If his spine protrudes like your knuckles when you make a tight fist, too skinny. If it is buried and flabby like your knuckles when your hand is flatten, too pudgy. If it is halfway in between, similar to when your hand is relaxed or curled to type, just right.

I hope this helps.

Jack's parents weighed 14 & 16 lbs. He weighs 18. Just remind the vet that AKC doesn't have a weight limit on the Hav standard. It is a min-max height limit, so there is a huge range (8.5-11.5 inches). A lot can happen in three inches.
I did try and Chester's spine is a little hard to feel cuz of his thick Havanese coat, but I think it is right in between, maybe a tincy bit flabby.


Hav to hav a Hav!!!
Ruth and Chester
(Chester's DOB - 4/04/13)
"Dogs are NOT stupid, they are smarter than you think."
Ruth4Havs is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Joe Cool!
 
morriscsps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metrowest Massachusetts
Posts: 2,059
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
The vet would have told you. Are you doing 3 feedings a day or 2? When you see the vet for the next round of shots, just ask. Discuss what, how much, and how often you feed him.

Jack will be 3 in July. I feed him 1/2 cup dry food AM/PM.

TTFN,
Pam

morriscsps is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome