I could really use some guidance! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
sda
Member
 
sda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could really use some guidance!

I need some advice and after spending almost two years reading here on the forum, I'm confident you guys will be an incredible help. My Havanese, Bentley, will be two years old in November and weighs 8 lbs. He became ill on Tuesday...wouldn't eat anything, had an episode of diarrhea with some mucus in it, some trembling and even whimpered a couple of times. After the trembling and whimpering I loaded him in the car and took him to the vet. The vet said he had colitis from something he ate and gave him metronidazole and told me to feed him chicken and rice. He also did bloodwork which came back normal. He started feeling better and stools firmed up but now his last two stools have been very, very soft. I may have caused this because I started to mix in a little bit of his normal kibble with the chicken and rice yesterday and even increased it a little more this morning. I thought since he was doing better it would be ok but I guess I should have given him more time on the chicken/rice diet. What would the ratio of chicken/rice be and how much per day for an 8lb. dog? My vet said to use my best judgment (ridiculous!). I had been feeding more rice than chicken but I called the vet's office today and asked again and the girl that answered the phone said 1/2 cup chicken and a handful of rice twice a day. She sounded like she was kind of guessing so I wanted to check with you all. As a sidenote, I am switching vets for numerous reasons, but the vet I want to go to is out of town for two weeks. I really hope you all can help me-I feel like a mom with a newborn when there is something wrong with Bentley!

Thanks so much! ~Stacy
sda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Member
 
MyLittleHavanese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ledyard, Connecticut
Posts: 37
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just had an episode of throwing up and diarrhea with both of our havanese. The emergency vets first question was did they get into anything. We were away visiting so they were on leash at all times so we knew they had not gotten into anything so we thought. Come to find out where we visited had buried mothballs around the outside of the house and their dog had identical symptoms the week before. Just a thought, think about anywhere Bentley could have been exposed to chemicals, on walks or visits. We wash our dogs paws after walks now.
MyLittleHavanese is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,845
Submit Photo: 21
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 40 Posts
That sounds like a lot of chicken. What kind of kibble do you feed?

Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
sda
Member
 
sda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
That sounds like a lot of chicken. What kind of kibble do you feed?
He is on Wellness Small Breed Super5 Mix Adult Health. I thought it sounded like a lot of chicken also.
sda is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,517
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
I do think that the return to loose stools is because you started to transition him back too quickly. I've made that mistake myself in the past. Now, if Kodi needs to go on a bland diet, he STAYS on it, for at least a week past the last symptoms.

I think the vet wasn't far off with the "use your judgement" comment here. Your eally do have to play it by ear, and it's not an exact science. My rule of thumb is more rice/less chicken if there are any signs of intestinal problems, slowly increasing the mount of chicken if all is well. I also ad a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin or squash (not the pie filling...) to his food, as this helps firm things up too.

An adult dog who is otherwise in good health can easily go several days on just rice without it hurting them, (though they'll be more likely to eat it if there is at least SOME chicken mixed in!) and can easily go a couple of weeks on chicken, rice and pumpkin without it hurting them. So don't be afraid to take your time weaning him back onto his regular food. And if he's a little loose after one meal, step back a bit at the next.


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
sda
Member
 
sda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I do think that the return to loose stools is because you started to transition him back too quickly. I've made that mistake myself in the past. Now, if Kodi needs to go on a bland diet, he STAYS on it, for at least a week past the last symptoms.

I think the vet wasn't far off with the "use your judgement" comment here. Your eally do have to play it by ear, and it's not an exact science. My rule of thumb is more rice/less chicken if there are any signs of intestinal problems, slowly increasing the mount of chicken if all is well. I also ad a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin or squash (not the pie filling...) to his food, as this helps firm things up too.

An adult dog who is otherwise in good health can easily go several days on just rice without it hurting them, (though they'll be more likely to eat it if there is at least SOME chicken mixed in!) and can easily go a couple of weeks on chicken, rice and pumpkin without it hurting them. So don't be afraid to take your time weaning him back onto his regular food. And if he's a little loose after one meal, step back a bit at the next.
Thanks for the information! That makes me feel better to know that I can keep feeding him the chicken & rice for a while with no problems. I just don't know how much is appropriate to feed him. He eats 1/4 cup of kibble twice a day normally but that is probably a lot different than mostly rice with some chicken. I don't want him to be starving or over-eating (he seems to really like the chicken and rice!). Can you give me some input on an approximate amount?
sda is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 23,517
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 296 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
Thanks for the information! That makes me feel better to know that I can keep feeding him the chicken & rice for a while with no problems. I just don't know how much is appropriate to feed him. He eats 1/4 cup of kibble twice a day normally but that is probably a lot different than mostly rice with some chicken. I don't want him to be starving or over-eating (he seems to really like the chicken and rice!). Can you give me some input on an approximate amount?
Kodi eats about 1/4c twice a day too, and I probably fed him a LITTLE more chicken and rice than that, but not much. Maybe a rounded 1/4c. Remember, the whole idea is to REST his digestive tract. As long as he's normal weight to start with (and most pet people keep their dogs on the pudgy side) he won't starve in the length of time he needs to be on it!


Karen, Kodi, Pixel and Panda
(ARCHMX Starborn Kodak Moment CGC, NTD, BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-CCH, RE, RLV, RL1X3, RL2X4, RL3X3...
plus Starborn's Picture Perfect & Nauti Herd Compact Flash RN, CGC, NTD, SN-C, RL1)






krandall is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
sda
Member
 
sda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much Karen-I really appreciate your help!
sda is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
sda
Member
 
sda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleHavanese View Post
We just had an episode of throwing up and diarrhea with both of our havanese. The emergency vets first question was did they get into anything. We were away visiting so they were on leash at all times so we knew they had not gotten into anything so we thought. Come to find out where we visited had buried mothballs around the outside of the house and their dog had identical symptoms the week before. Just a thought, think about anywhere Bentley could have been exposed to chemicals, on walks or visits. We wash our dogs paws after walks now.
Thanks for your response! So scary to think of all the things they can get into without us realizing it. My neighbor just told me about a friends dog (3 yr old lab) that got into some toxic mushrooms in their back yard and died. So many things to look out for!
sda is offline  
Reply

Tags
chicken and rice , colitis , diarrhea

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome