Swallowed toy - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Roe
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 87
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swallowed toy

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member. My pup Pebbles is 8 months old. Sunday she accidentally swallowed a child's magnetic alphabet letter, the kind you usually see on a fridge or magnetic board.
She has been x-rayed twice and I have been told to wait and see if she can pass it. I seriously doubt that a small 10 pound havanese is going to get that out of her.
So far she has been eating and doing her duty outside regularly. she shows no signs of discomfort at all. I am scared to death but they do not want to do surgery when they clearly do not see anything on the x-ray although the night I Brought her in she showed a small dot of possibly the magnet in her stomach. The next day it was not there. They induced vomitting Sunday night but she did not throw it up.

Have any of you gone through anything like this? Any advice Would be greatly appreciated. We are scared to death.

Thanks,
Roe
Roe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
casperkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,119
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hope that this will be taken care of soon. Please keep us posted!!

~~Mommy"s Little Angel~~
casperkeep is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Riley & Monte's mom
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 5,579
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 16 Times in 13 Posts
oH gosh how scary, I have never had this happen. I hate to ask but are you sure she has not pooped it out yet? Have you checked all her poop? Sorry, I know that sounds gross but I would assume it should come out within a day or two.

Leeann, Riley, Monte & Rumor


Leeann is offline  
 
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
SMARTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,107
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

You are positive she swallowed the whole toy not just the magnet, and it was the magnet on the x-ray. If it was there and is now gone it must have passed. You would be surprised what can go through their digestive systems. I would watch for throwing up as a sign there might be trouble.

I has a Boxer swallow a small squeaky toy in the show ring once. I was keeping her attention by tossing her this small toy and then it was gone. I freaked out all I wanted to do was get out of there to see what could be done. She won the class. I was told to give her small amounts of mineral oil on her food. In 2 days it came out just like it went in. She never showed any signs of discomfort.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sandi, taking a new road with Smarty and Galen

Last edited by SMARTY; 01-09-2008 at 02:52 PM.
SMARTY is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Beamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada!
Posts: 4,155
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 16 Times in 6 Posts
Roe,

Welcome to the forum, and yeah that is scary! Are you absolutly sure she swallowed it?? Lots of times I'm CERTAIN Beamer has swallowed something, only to find it on the floor later on covered in spit.. lol.. Such as cardboard, tissue peices, carpet fibers, you name it...

Did you actually see her swallow it or did someone else witness it? I only TRUST MYSELF and no one else..

Ryan

Beamer is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
imamurph52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Roe,

Gabriel has eaten and digested part of a vaccum attachment, half of a soft plastic soap dish, part of toys..you name it. For some reason unknown to me, he has never had a problem. And I honestly say that I don't know what became of these items that went and I never saw come out!

I was told by the Vet to keep proxide available, as giving him a teaspoon would make him vomit right away. I haven't had to try this yet though.

I'm sure your Vet cautioned you to watch and make sure she was eating, drinking, peeing and poo'ing regularly.. If you see ANY changes I would take her in.
Maybe her stomach acids will break it down..

BTW..we'd love to see photos of your little Pebbles!! Are you new to the forum??
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
 
marjrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10,319
Submit Photo: 30
Photo Submissions 21 Times in 17 Posts
Roe, I'm sorry to hear about Pebbles! It IS scary when you aren't sure what's going on in that little body of hers. I can't imagine being able to do anything but check her stool and keep an eye on her.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully, you'll have good news to tell us soon.




Hello. My name is marj and I have MHS.




"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

“Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew.” -Guillaume Apollinaire"
marjrc is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Roe
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 87
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toy swllowed

Thank you all for replying so quickly. Yes I am new to this forum but I have been reading for six months.
My husband was trying to get the thing out of her mouth. she never lets us have what she doesn't want to give up. She was laying down on the carpet and he had his fingers in her mouth. He felt the toy that we believe was the letter. He didn't know how to do it right so he must have pushed it to the back of her mouth and it slid down her throat. I never do it that way.
The dot that showed up on the x-ray was round and tiny the actual magnet on the letter was square and bigger this is what we do not understand. We looked everywhere she was when he had her down and it is nowhere to be found.
I would post her picture but I do not know how to do it. She is a chocolate , meaning she has the light eyes, brown lids and lips and nose but her color is actually white and sable. She eats everything and anything she finds.
Roe is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Susan
 
mckennasedona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Near San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 4,063
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Roe, by now she's probably already expelled it. Especially if she is "regular" and not having any problems. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to examine the evidence (her feces) but you've probably already picked it up and thrown it away.

Susan

mckennasedona is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Roe
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 87
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Susan
I have chopped through each piece of poop since this happened to see if she has gotten out it yet but so far nothing unsual at all . I just can't imagine a plastic letter coming out of such a small dog. Yet it seems to me that she would be in some discomfort with something that big in her.

Roe
Roe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome