Raisins and Grapes are Toxic to Dogs! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
imamurph52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Raisins and Grapes are Toxic to Dogs!

Written
by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.
He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but
the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.


I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in
immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to
give I V fluids at
1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72
hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over
40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to
220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to

Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too. (We heard garlic too. RMN)

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth
passing on to them.

Confirmation
from Snopes about the above...
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Home-Human Foods that Poison Pets http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/...m?story_no=257
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
mintchip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF area
Posts: 6,425
Submit Photo: 63
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamurph52 View Post
Written
by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio



Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too. (We heard garlic too. RMN)

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth
passing on to them.

Confirmation
from Snopes about the above...
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Raisins and Grapes Harmful to Dogs http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Home-Human Foods that Poison Pets http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/...m?story_no=257
Oliver accidently got a small piece of an onion and we almost lost him. Thankfully a friend noticed it in time to get him to the Vet!

Sally,((Oliver)) Comet and Pennie too!
The best things in life are not things!
mintchip is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Suzy and Cazzie
 
suzyfrtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Up North & Down South
Posts: 796
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for posting this, Diane.

Suzy

Sweet Chelsie Coton
suzyfrtz is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Lincoln and Scout's Mom
 
Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,650
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchip View Post
Oliver accidently got a small piece of an onion and we almost lost him. Thankfully a friend noticed it in time to get him to the Vet!
Sally, was it raw or cooked? Did he show visible signs of being sick? I'm glad Oliver is okay!!

I know I've dropped a few onion pieces here and there while I'm chopping/cooking...I'll have to be more vigilant!

Jane
Jane is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
pjewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 8,941
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 41 Times in 25 Posts
I've seen the grape/raisin one a few times before, but the onions is new to me. I, too, drop bits on the floor while preparing food sometimes and it's frightening to think it could be lethal. Scary stuff.

<b>Just Milo and me, and . . . </b>Bailey makes three . . . until Ruby said, "hey, what about me?"
Geri, Milo, Bailey and HRH Princess Ruby Tuesday

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
mintchip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF area
Posts: 6,425
Submit Photo: 63
Photo Submissions 62 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Sally, was it raw or cooked? Did he show visible signs of being sick? I'm glad Oliver is okay!!

I know I've dropped a few onion pieces here and there while I'm chopping/cooking...I'll have to be more vigilant!
Raw onions.
He wasn't acting himself (but I thought it was because he was at a friend's house) About 2 hours later he had a lot of blood in his urine. He spent a day and a half at the Vet.

Sally,((Oliver)) Comet and Pennie too!
The best things in life are not things!
mintchip is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome