Food Alert - Raisins - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Samson & Delilah's Mom
 
dboudreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,683
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 17 Times in 15 Posts
Food Alert - Raisins

This information was on another group this morning. I thought Every one should be aware. Especially us parents with toddlers.

"This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet.
My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half
a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the
owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere
about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any
formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the
meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,and the doctor there was like
me - had heard something about it, but....
Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center
and they said to give I V fluids at 1 = times maintenance and watch the
kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal
less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both
are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was
over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on
to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well
as overnight care.
He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed
to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.
This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin.
Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many
people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our
ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern."

"Hav" a Great Day,
Debbie & Sam & Delilah
www.lossombrahavanese.com


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess.
dboudreau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,036
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow Debbie. Thanks for the info. My old dog used to love grapes. I never gave her many (maybe 2 at the most). Never knew they were toxic.
Rita is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ca
Posts: 1,672
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi
That is such a sad story . There is nothing worse than an animal in renal failure .
Just as an FYi - there is a dialysis unit at U/C Davis in California . We were told there are only two in the whole USA ..
When Asta was so sick that is one of the first questions the vet at U/C asked if he had been exposed to or had eaten grapes or raisins . Yes apparently they are very toxic and cause renal failure .
Cosmosmom is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:06 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,036
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this link that might be helpful to some. I know someone asked on another thread about onions. They are on the list too.
http://www.dobermanrescue.org/toxicfood.htm
Rita is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Missy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,746
Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 48 Times in 35 Posts
thanks for that link Rita. good things to know. But there is garlic (also on the list with onions) in a lot of dog foods. I thought it helped with fleas.

Very sad story about the lab mix.




Missy, Jasper & Cash
Missy is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,036
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Missy. Yes you are right. A lot of suppliments have garlic. It starts getting confusing. I did find this link that explained things a little better. They said one clove per 20 lbs of dog should not hurt it. Maybe someone else out there can tell us more about garlic.

It amazes me though, I guess when in doubt - stay away. They said they could not tell why some dogs had a reaction to grapes and another didn't.

http://www.dogicuts.com/index_files/toxic.htm
Rita is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome