Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Landenberg, PA
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mouse Poison - WARNING!
I posted this a while back on the yahoo lists, but I think it is very important, that everyone should know, so I am doing it here...
There are two types of mouse poison that you can find at any hardware store. One is the standard coumadin/blood thinner type, and the other is a new chemical that acts on the mitochondria in the cells. The first kind, the coumadin poison, has an antidote, should your Havanese, other pets, or children accidentally ingest this. My Hav did several years ago when we were preoccupied moving into a new home. The prior owner had left out some mouse poison, and my Cleo thought it looked yummy. After a frantic call to my vet and making her vomit with hydrogen peroxide, I gave her a prophylactic course of Vitamin K for a month - and she was fine. However, if the mouse poison was not coumadin, but the other kind, my vet said there was NO antidote, and it was hopeless. I was very lucky - but then I was frightened that others might not be so lucky, so I wanted to share this information with you. Each box of mouse poison will list its active ingredients. Coumadin is the only one anyone should buy!!! No matter how careful we are, we might find ourselves and our loved ones in a home with mouse poison, and accidents do happen. Please tell everyone you know! If one pet/child is spared, it is worth it.