Pup Poisoning Tips - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Brody's Momma
 
herrick51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 192
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pup Poisoning Tips

I'm a recently retired poison center nurse and wanted to pass on some info after reading various threads about risks of poisoning from things like xylitol, grapes, chocolate, etc. I spent the last 23 years as an emergency advice nurse in a regional poison center. Although we were a human service, we did our best to assist pet owners and referred them to the ASPCA Animal Poison Center if we felt we could not safely help. The important thing to remember: DOGS ARE NOT PEOPLE! (As much as we love our babies, they are physiologically different.) There are things that are perfectly fine for us, but very poisonous to them.
A great resource is the ASPCA website at http://www.aspca.org/apcc
If you think your dog has been exposed to something toxic, you can first call your human poison center at 1-800-222-1222 (free service, this number works like 911 to route you to the poison center covering your area.) If your center doesn't handle animal calls, they will likely refer you to your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Center at
(888) 426-4435. This service is staffed by specially trained vets; they do charge for services, but may be able to answer without charge if they have a contract with a company (like a drug company) to handle emergencies. They are terrific (I've worked with the director in national meetings).
Obviously if an animal is in severe distress, go straight to an emergency vet clinic, but don't be afraid to ask them to consult with the Animal Poison Center if the vet seems uncertain about what to do.

Mary - Brody's Momma
herrick51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Jeanne
 
MaddiesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,622
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for reminding us. Our pets getting into something poisonous is always our nightmare.

Jeanne (Mom to Maddie)
MaddiesMom is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Kimberly
 
Havtahava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,275
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 13 Posts
This is a great reminder, so I'm bumping the thread. Thank you!
Havtahava is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Newbie Member
 
Paradise Havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Paradise,Indiana
Posts: 191
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that there has been controversy, but friend of mine nursed a dog back to health from liver failure that she linked to the Swifter Wet Jet. No more Wet Jet, healthy dog. Even if it's coincidental, it's not worth the risk to me!

Paradise Havs is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Lincoln and Scout's Mom
 
Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,650
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for posting that info. I wrote the phone numbers down on a sticky note and placed them on my fridge!

Jane
Jane is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Brody's Momma
 
herrick51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 192
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for bumping this thread. I'd encourage everyone to spend a few minutes on the National Animal Poison Control Center website. http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apccIt has a wealth of great information for pet owners. You can fill out an on-line request for a free pet safety pack with a magnet with the number for your frig.
Steve Hansen, DVM, the director of the center, is a wonderful, caring person, as well as a nationally renowned expert in his field. He lead the efforts around the melamine pet food recall, and received honors by other Vet organizations for his work during this tragedy.
Hopefully, none of us will ever need their services, but having the emergency numbers handy could save stress, time, and even our precious pup's lives.
(. . .and, if you go to your own vet for a poisoning issue, most vets can't possibly keep up with all the most current information on poisoning treatment, so I would ALWAYS reques that my vet has consulted with the NAPCC.)

Happy New Year!

mary

Mary - Brody's Momma
herrick51 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome